Why Do Browser Problems Cripple the PC RRS feed

• Question

• Since I am running Win7, I am posting this here, but it applies to other versions.  Why is it that when web browsers start tripping over themselves, the PC itself is often dead in the water?  I am not talking about an isolated problem, so it's not about checking my BIOS, malware or any of the usual suspects.  The question is more general than that.  My experience, on a wide variety of machines and Windows versions, is that when browsers thrash, there is nothing to be done but wait for them.  Often you can't even switch to another application.  How is it that browsers frequently bring the PC itself to its knees while it sorts itself out?

Echo Train Nashville TN

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm which version of Internet Explorer you are using.

Regarding the issue, I suggest that you could run internet explorer with “no-add-ons” to check the result.

1.            Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;
    2.            Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.

If the problem disappears, it could be caused by IE add-ons, please try following steps to narrow down.

1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and click Manage add-ons.
    2.    Disable the third-party add-ons and keep the needed items on.
    3.    After finding the related item, double click the item and select Remove.
    4.    Restart Internet Explorer and check the issue again.

Also you can reset your IE settings. Please refer to the following KB article:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Best regards,

Della Li

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:43 AM
  • This phenomenon is more pervasive than just the IE browser, and is evident in every version of Windows I have used.  It seems that any browser running under Window can run into problems that affect the performance of the OS itself.  I don't know if it's in page rendering, fetching of data or what.  But, when they get into this mode the PC is just plain unresponsive.  Even if there isn't anything to be done, I'm just trying to understand it.

Echo Train Nashville TN

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:20 PM
  • I could see that if an app is doing a lot of normal priority i/o.  More so if two apps are.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:44 PM