Reset back to SharePoint Friendly Error Page RRS feed

• Question

• I have used current environment for debugging error message, by setting CustomError to Off and CallStack to true. I have fixed the issue and now try to set back this CustomError to On and CallStack back to false. However, when the friendly SharePoint error page never come out, it shows 500 Internal Server Error text instead.

There are a few errors that should show in SharePoint friendly error page, like "You are not allowed to respond again to this survey", but it shows 500 Internal Server Error page. Any idea how to reset it back? 

Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:14 PM

Answers

• It turns out that there is customization on simple.master that causes the error.. So, lesson learned is to be careful with some system master page, like simple.master as it's usually used to display friendly error message. If this page also error, SharePoint will simply shows 500 Internal Server Error.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent_G Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before doing the changes have you taken the backup of web.config file? This is a recommended practice.

If yes replace the current file with the backup and do an app pool recycle.

Otherwise if in your farm there are more than one WFE server serving the same set of roles then compare it with another one and do the necessary changes.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, May 27, 2011 2:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Vincent_G Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 2:39 PM
  • It turns out that there is customization on simple.master that causes the error.. So, lesson learned is to be careful with some system master page, like simple.master as it's usually used to display friendly error message. If this page also error, SharePoint will simply shows 500 Internal Server Error.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent_G Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM