Microsoft Security Essentials notification icon RRS feed

• Question

• The icon was initially there but has since quit appearing. The program is running - I can access it from the desk top and update etc.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• Since I don't have the hidden icons box checked ....
    There's not actually a check box for hiding icons.  The relevent 'box' gets checked to unhide icons, in Windows 7.  Please verify the following:

* Right-click the Taskbar and choose 'Properties'
    * On the 'Taskbar' tab, click the 'Customize' button in the 'Notification area' section.
    * In the top section, is the icon for Microsoft Security Essentials set to "Show icon and notifications"?
    * At bottom, is the checkbox beside "Always show all icons and notifications on the Taskbar" ticked?

cheers.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, November 6, 2009 1:37 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:35 PM

All replies

• The small 'Up arrow' icon near the clock in the Notification area is a 'Show hidden icons' link.  Please click on that and see if the MSE icon appears in the popup box.  Notification area icons which are not frequently used get 'hidden' after a while.

If you wish to have the MSE icon display at all times you simply need to drag/drop the icon from the 'Hidden' section to a location beside the time/date display in the notification area.  It'll remain on view afterwards!
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:50 AM
  • Since I don't have the hidden icons box checked I have no hidden icons - so that isn't the answer. Don't have an up arrow by the clock.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Since I don't have the hidden icons box checked ....
    There's not actually a check box for hiding icons.  The relevent 'box' gets checked to unhide icons, in Windows 7.  Please verify the following:

* Right-click the Taskbar and choose 'Properties'
    * On the 'Taskbar' tab, click the 'Customize' button in the 'Notification area' section.
    * In the top section, is the icon for Microsoft Security Essentials set to "Show icon and notifications"?
    * At bottom, is the checkbox beside "Always show all icons and notifications on the Taskbar" ticked?

cheers.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, November 6, 2009 1:37 AM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Be careful of those "free" applications you download.  They load toolbars and nuisance adds to browsers even when you tick "No" on installation.  Even after MSE and Malwarebytes scans they leave trace files that mess your computer up from then on.  In Windows 7 sometimes Restore works.  For most users it doesn't.  Go back to a clean restore point if that is possible.  Failing that you will have to live with it or restore a backup.

After downloading a "free" video conversion program Funmoods wrecked my computer.  I have learned.  When they ask to install something extra back right out of the installation.  My laptop had different icons showing on each startup.  No MSE, No power icon, No Malwarebytes, No HP digital imaging.  Every start was like a lottery.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:26 PM