Manually configuring ipv6 on Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows XP machine on a network and I want to enable the following scenario: I want it to talk via IPv6 with my Cisco router that also has IPv6 address but I want to configure it manually - I want to manually set it up (the address and the default gateway).

1) I found some ways to define an ipv6 address, but how I define an ipv6 default gateway?

2) is there anything else I need to define and how (maybe DNS?).

3) Do I need to configure an ipv4 address for some reason on that interface on the client (I read that it is possible to configure ipv4 and ipv6 addresses on the same interface) if it talks ipv6 with the router?

4) The most important: in such scenario is it necessary to setup 6to4 or something like that (I read everywhere about it but I don't understand when is it necessary), why and how? Why should there be a tunnel if it connects to its local router via ipv6.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:32 PM

All replies

• Have you looked at the Microsoft KB on installing IPv6 in Windows XP @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2478747 ?

It might answer some or all of your questions and has links to other articles about IPv6.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Well that's all great but in order to actually configure anything cli commands have to be used, but I have done it and manually setup the IPv6 address and DG.

But I have a problem with the Subnet mask:

As I have said i defined IPv6 address on the XP Client with the IP of 2001:10:10::85. But there is no option to define prefix length so i don't know which Subnet Mask it's using.

I need to define the segment on a cisco router that has the option to define a SM so I need to know to in which subnet the XP client thinks it is, so I know which subnet to define on the router (2001:10:10::254/?)

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:58 PM