Media Center Problems with .Net 4 RRS feed

• Question

• XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3

After installing the optional .Net 4 and Client Profile, the Media Center TV guide wouldn't download.  A process called ehrec.exe took 50% of the CPU and stayed there.  I then uninstalled the 2 .Net 4 downloads and it works fine.  Is there a problem with .Net 4 and Media Center?

Fred

Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. I have seen that the program loads "mscoreei.dll" which comes from .NET 4 (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll) but I don't know how to force the program to use only the old CLR ...

Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Sounds like it's not just an isolated incident.  Don't know how to report it to MS, unless these posts do it.

I just left .NET 4 removed.  I doubt that there are many, if any, programs that use it.  I imagine any programs that use it will tell me.  It would be nice for MS to fix it, in any case.

Fred

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Actually, I had 2 .NET 4 listings in Add/Remove Programs.  After removing both of them, I noticed that Microsoft only offered the one .NET 4 client profile, so I reinstallled it and now MCE still works.

Fred

Friday, December 17, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Which version was reported mscoree.dll?

probably 2.0 still

Can be confirmed by looking at these log files

%WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.Log

%Windir%\logs\cbs\logs.log

Start by navigating to this folder and see if trustedinstaller.exe is present

c:\windows\services\TrustedInstaller.exe

And then try running the .net 4.0 installer again.

Hopefully this works for you!

I find that re-installing Windows Installer 4.5 usually solves more installer issues. Assuming this is Xp. And remember to post results or mark this as solved if helpful

Keith

Friday, January 7, 2011 3:18 PM