Timer language RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

is it possible to change the session Timer´s message language into German?

Greetings

StabiHB

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi StabiHB,

There is no interface to change the Session Timer
    ´s message language. However, we can use some third party tools to change the source code of the SteadyState file:

Important Note: Microsoft doesn’t  recommend  editing the source code of the program files. Improper changes may cause program or system corruption. The following steps are for your reference. Perform at your own risk.

1. Download Resource Hacker from the following website:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/16956/download.aspx

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Log on as an administrator account. Open ResHacker.exe and load the following file:

C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState\SCTResources.dll

3. Click View -> Find Text. Type in
    Time remaining (without quotations) and click Find Next. The following message will be found:

"Time remaining:  %1!02d!:%2!02d!:%3!02d!\nBe sure to save your work before mandatory logoff."

4. Customize the
    Time remaining or Be sure to save your work before mandatory logoff parts as you like.
    5. Click the
    Compile Script button and then click Save under File menu.
    6. Log off and log on to test your work.

Please let me know the result if you choose this method.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi StabiHB,

There is no interface to change the Session Timer
    ´s message language. However, we can use some third party tools to change the source code of the SteadyState file:

Important Note: Microsoft doesn’t  recommend  editing the source code of the program files. Improper changes may cause program or system corruption. The following steps are for your reference. Perform at your own risk.

1. Download Resource Hacker from the following website:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/download/16956/download.aspx

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Log on as an administrator account. Open ResHacker.exe and load the following file:

3. Click View -> Find Text. Type in
    Time remaining (without quotations) and click Find Next. The following message will be found:

"Time remaining:  %1!02d!:%2!02d!:%3!02d!\nBe sure to save your work before mandatory logoff."

4. Customize the
    Time remaining or Be sure to save your work before mandatory logoff parts as you like.
    5. Click the
    Compile Script button and then click Save under File menu.
    6. Log off and log on to test your work.

Please let me know the result if you choose this method.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:16 AM
  • Hello,

thank you very much for your hint ("Resource Hacker"). I was successful and changed the "bubble.exe" also, so that the message to save my files now is in german while using Disk Protection...

B.t.w.: is it possible to change the size of Remaining-Time-Window?

Greetings

StabiHB

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Hi StabiHB,

I am glad to hear it works.

Based on my research, the Remaining-Time-Window is an fixed .BMP picture in SCTResources.dll. The picture size cannot be changed. Although we can replace it with another larger BMP file, the size of the new BMP file will be adjusted to the same size as the original one. 

Here are the replace steps for your information. Please backup SCTResources.dll first in case you want to restore the changes.

1. Open ResHacker.exe and load the following file:

3. Open Bitmap ->103 -> 1033 (The number can be different). We can see background picture in the right panel. 

4. Click Action -> Replace Bitmap.

5. Click “Open file with new bitmap…”

6. Locate the BMP file you created.

7. Log off and log on to test the result.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:46 AM