none
Project stops working when attempting to change working times RRS feed

• Question

• Project stops working when attempting to change working times.  I'm running a 1000+ task project, fully resource loaded with multiple resource calendars.  After two months of normal operation, it now appears that Project has deleted (or corrupted) one of the base calendars that several of the resources use.  Now, when attempting to change working time for a resource, sometimes I can get as far as a blank space where the base calendar name should be and an error message stating that there is a problem with the resource; other times the program just stops working and shuts down.  Any ideas on how to restore the file?  
    Friday, January 30, 2015 2:04 AM

All replies

• Jim925,

First of all, what version of Project are you using? Second, is it updated with the latest service pack?

It sounds like you may have a corrupt file. Try saving the file as XML and then re-open in Project. That normally will clear corruption, but not always. Note, you will lose any custom formatting using this process.

Let's start with the above and see what that yields.

John

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:14 AM
  • I agree with John. Save the file as XML and reopen it. Also, if you have backup of the file, use Organizer to copy the base calendar from the backup. To use organizer, open both the files in Project.

1. In Project 2007 or earlier versions, select Tools > Organizer. In Project 2010 and later, select File, Info > Organizer. 

2. Click Calendars tab.

3. Change the Calendars available in: drop down on the right to current file, and other drop down to backup. This will list all the base calendars in each file.

4. Select the base calendar in the backup. Click the "Copy >>" to restore the base calendar.

Sai PMP, PMI-SP, MCTS Project, MVP Project

Friday, January 30, 2015 3:29 AM