Lync 2016 Client contacts are Presence Unknown periodically RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello everyone!

    I have an issue with contacts in Lync 2016 Client (SFB 2016): random contacts are Presence Unknown, but not always, they sometimes are in correct status (Available, Offline, Busy, etc...) and sometimes Presence Unknown (PU), and when they are in PU, they cannot be called or written message to.

    The problem appeared when we started migration to another Exchange system without Trust Relationships, WITH its own IM property, configured to Jabber with user@jabberdomain.com . Outlook is now reconfigured to use external Exchange with user@domain.com, and Lync 2013 Server stayed local with user@domain.ru (domain.[com/.ru] NETBIOS names are the same, jabberdomain.com is different)

    At first users noticed doubled contacts from new Exchange, one is always Presence Unknown (domain.com contact) and the other domain.ru can be in 3 states:

    1. domain.ru Not shown at all.
    2. domain.ru Shown, but in Presence Unknown state
    3. domain.ru Shown and OK State

    After some research I set registry to all users to not download OAB for Outlook 

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Cached Mode\DownloadOAB DWORD 0

    After this all doubled contacts became single, but problems with State Unknown is still present.

    Can somebody help with this?

    Tank you!

    Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:18 AM

All replies

  • Hi Alexey,

    According to your description, I learned the SIP address and SMTP address are different now in your environment. 

    As you have migrated the Exchange to the new one, and the SMTP address was changed to the new one. By design, the Lync/Skype for Business client will look in the Outlook Personal Information Store first for the user being searched for. 

    I did some research, you could try to update the contact card in OWA and Outlook, then check whether fix this issue. You could refer to the following blog:

    Best Regard,
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Thank you for your answer, but we do not have direct access to modify Contacts in migrated Exchange.

    If I understood correctly, I need to change SIP from JabberDomain.com to domain.ru in Migrated Exchange or add second sip domain.ru to it?

    Thursday, August 30, 2018 11:59 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

    You could use the different SMTP and SIP address in your environment, it is supported.

    About this issue, you could also try to check Contact List Provider in the Skype for Business Configuration Information, check this value is UCS or Skype for Business Server. If it shows UCS, you could run Invoke-CsUcsRollback to roll back the user’s contacts to Lync Server.

    In addition, if you could let the SMTP and SIP address as same in your environment, it is better to let the address as the same, this is the recommend way.

    Best Regard,

    • Edited by woshixiaobai Friday, August 31, 2018 3:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Monday, September 3, 2018 5:54 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Hi Alexey,

    Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

    Best Regard,
    Monday, September 3, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Hello!

    Thanks a lot for your answer!

    It did not helped.

    We have Revoked some test people from UCS, it did not helped.

    We added second sip to proxyAddress with foreign address @JabberDomain.com, it did not helped.

    But we have received letter from Admins of @JabberDomain.com, that they have a solution with modifying local registry on every client to solve the issue, but we still did not received the keys.

    Monday, September 3, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Just received information, that no solution is available from @JabberDomain.com Admins, they adviced to open ticket to Microsoft.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:17 AM