Local Hard Drive (*c) changed to NTFS by clicking on "permissions of removing users from properties-security menu?" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am new to Microsoft TechNet. In fact I just came to know right now that this thing is available. 

Thanks for reading my question and concerns. 

My Question was: I was trying to delete some windows.old file from my hard drive. I have Win7 32bit currently running on my lappy. Somehow from techgeeks or via google-in it I found i have to "allow myself/admin. " to have "full access" from Properties->Security. I did it. Once I pressed "ok" button, I found "special Permission needed." I Pressed "Continue.. Continue around 40-50 times." I thought its asking me permission to delete the folder "as i have just changed by "access to full access control," and will allow me to delete it." Infact the Harddrive doesn't open right now.. And beneath the hard drive name, it says "NTFS"... I don't know its wrong or correct. I don't know is that okey to keep NTFS or not. I don;t know will that have any effect on my current OS Win 7 or once I restart my Lappy. I would appreciate any help. 

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

NTFS is Windows NT and after the Windows 2000 and Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista and Windows 7 standard file system. It was defined when formatting the partition before installation of Windows 7.  The windows.old file is the floder which stored the former Windows system files. When you make a fresh install of Windows 7, the floder was created by system.

Delete the files would never affect to current OS.

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder

How to use the Disk Cleanup feature to delete the Windows.old folder after you install Windows Vista (also can be applied to Windows 7)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930527

• Proposed as answer by willy_zeng Monday, March 28, 2011 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:41 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 9:02 AM