none
Problem with remote distribution from subscription server

Question

• Hi i configured two server one to be the distribution and the publisher i configured one publication to a sql server user name sc_ggonzales to start the agents and from the subscriptor server i configured the subscription to the publication son when i clic on the view synchronization status it shows that can connect to the distribution

i will attached the diagram of how i configurated the servers and the log is showing this

2018-04-27 22:06:46.675 Connecting to Subscriber 'CENTRAL'
    2018-04-27 22:06:46.731 Connecting to Distributor 'FISCALIA2'
    2018-04-27 22:07:02.600 Agent message code 20084. The process could not connect to Distributor 'FISCALIA2'.
    2018-04-27 22:07:02.600 The agent failed with a 'Retry' status. Try to run the agent at a later time.

i already try to connect to the FISCALIA2 from the management and it connects succesfull with the sql server user sc_ggonzalez i dont understand why it dosent connect if someone could have any idea.

thnks

Friday, April 27, 2018 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Carlos Maddaleno,

Please enable auditing and see if you are getting a failed login, right click on your publisher in SSMS, go to properties, security and ensure the audit both successful and failed logins only check box is checked.

I guess this is a permission issue, the distribution agent process account does not have rights on the distributor.

Pleas verify the distribution agent process account is a member of the PAL, has read permissions on the snapshot share, and is a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the subscription database.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 30, 2018 4:01 AM
  • Do you have a dedicated account that runs your distribution agent job? or it runs under the SQL Server agent service account on the distributor? The account that owns your distribution agent job should also exist on the subscriber with appropriate access to the database being replicated. 

Expand SQL Server agent--> go to the distribution agent job-->Go to the second job step---> check the account name that the job runs under. This account also needs to access the subscriber server and the subscriber database.

In your case, it appears that the user  " sc_ggonzalez"  also needs to be created on the subscriber database with read/write access to the database being replicated.

See if this helps. 

Please click Mark As Answer if my response answered your question or vote as helpful if it helped you in any way

Monday, April 30, 2018 6:53 AM
  • I suspect the account sc_ggonzalez needs to be on your publisher/distributor and in the db_owner role in the distribution and publication database(s).
    Monday, April 30, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Hi i was trying to find what you say about the publisher properties on SSMS about security and ensure but i dont find it i just saw this:

Pleas verify the distribution agent process account is a member of the PAL, has read permissions on the snapshot share, and is a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the subscription database.

i already check this and the acount sc_ggonzalez is a sql server acount and is already in the PAL publication and on my subscription i cant find the database.

im still cant connect from the subscriber:

thanks for your help

Monday, April 30, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Do you have a dedicated account that runs your distribution agent job? or it runs under the SQL Server agent service account on the distributor? The account that owns your distribution agent job should also exist on the subscriber with appropriate access to the database being replicated. 

The acount is sc_ggonzalez and it already exist on both servers FISCALIA2 and SERVER CENTRAL, next is the image of the configuration on FISCALIA2 of the sc_ggonzalez acount 

this is the rest of my configuration

Monday, April 30, 2018 9:03 PM
  • And on the SERVER (SUSCRIPTOR) i have this configuration

Monday, April 30, 2018 9:09 PM
  • I suspect the account sc_ggonzalez needs to be on your publisher/distributor and in the db_owner role in the distribution and publication database(s).

already check an the account is on both, but i only see the disribution database not the publication 

Monday, April 30, 2018 9:10 PM
  • Is sc_ggonzalez a sql authentication account? It looks like it is.

Check your SQL server error log to see if you have failed login attempts.

This might indicate that you are using an incorrect password on the subscriber to make the connection to the distributor/publisher, or that your publisher is not configured for mixed authentication.

Try to connect to your publisher from your subscriber using management studio using sc_ggonazlez with the password you have for it.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:35 PM
  • I can connect from my publisher to my subscriber using sc_ggonzalez on the sql manager i dont know what else can i review on my configuration 
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:52 PM
  • Logon to your subscriber. Can you connect to your publisher via ssms, or sqlcmd or an odbc connection to using the sc_ggonzalez account to see if that works?

Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Also, try this from the subscriber to connect via ssms to the distributor using the same account.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:00 PM