Note board web part breaks publishing page in IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• Problem
    When we add the note board web part on a publishing page and then surf to it using IE8 a lot of functionality is lost. We can no longer scroll or use the left menu, the only things that do work are the ribbon and the note board web part itself.

Replicate it
    The steps we took to replicate the issue was:
    1.Create publishing page.
    2. Add Note Board web part.
    3. Browse to it using IE8 (It has to be a real IE8 client, IE8 browser mode does not reproduce the error)

This only occurs on publishing pages using , doing the same on a wiki page results in everything working fine.

What we have tried
    We have reproduced the error on several freshly installed SharePoint 2013 machines. We have also applied the recommended KB updates without any resolution.

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:36 PM

Answers

• We managed to find the reason to why the noteboard web part doesn't work in IE8.

IE8 adds a filter: gradiant rule that for some reason clashes with the noteboard web part, seeing as the gradiant is from white to white it doesn't seem to do anything, after overriding the rule the sites containing the note board web part started working normally again

• Marked as answer by Malin.Åhlin Monday, June 10, 2013 8:31 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 8:31 AM

All replies

• Just to add to the description we used windows 7 32-bit and we have tried several different versions of IE8 when we reproduce the error.

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:25 AM
  • We managed to find the reason to why the noteboard web part doesn't work in IE8.

IE8 adds a filter: gradiant rule that for some reason clashes with the noteboard web part, seeing as the gradiant is from white to white it doesn't seem to do anything, after overriding the rule the sites containing the note board web part started working normally again

• Marked as answer by Malin.Åhlin Monday, June 10, 2013 8:31 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 8:31 AM
  • I am having the same problem but my attempts to override the filter: gradiant rule did not work.  Could you post the rule that you used and the location of where you placed it.  Thanks!!
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hello Mattias Åhlin,

I am facing the similar issue. In our case NoteBoard Text box is not editable in IE8. Can you please explain in detail how you manged to resolve this issue?

I mean how you overriden the gradient rule?

I will try to apply the similar solution then.

Thanks in advance!

Shri07

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:45 AM