ECC memory requirement RRS feed

• Question

• The RAM section of the requirements page indicates that the Server 2016 TP requires "ECC (Error Correcting Code) type or similar technology". The Windows Server 2012 requirements page does not. I have a few questions:

1. Is this requirement enforced by the installer and/or OS?
    2. Is this requirement expected to apply to the release version, as well?
    3. If so, what is the reason for the change?

Thanks!

• Edited by AnandA555 Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:05 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:02 AM

Answers

• ECC memory has been a requirement for Windows Server for several releases.  Where are you seeing it is not listed for 2012?  My guess is that it was an oversight on 2012.

That does not mean a system will not run without ECC; it just means that it is required for a supported system.  The installer does not enforce it.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Edited by Tim CerlingMVP Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by AnandA555 Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi AnandA555,

1. I suppose both as it is a minimum requirement.

2. It's not known currently. I guess yes.

3. The details are not published, I suppose it is required by some new features considering there are lots of new features coming with 2016 which are not available in earlier Server OSes.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 7:06 AM
  • ECC memory has been a requirement for Windows Server for several releases.  Where are you seeing it is not listed for 2012?  My guess is that it was an oversight on 2012.

That does not mean a system will not run without ECC; it just means that it is required for a supported system.  The installer does not enforce it.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Edited by Tim CerlingMVP Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by AnandA555 Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:12 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Tim; it is not an enforced requirement, but usage with non-ECC memory is not supported.

As to the 2012 requirements, if you do a web search for "system requirements and installation information for windows server 2012 r2", it should be the first link. The RAM section is word-for-word the same as in the 2016 TP requirements (including the long note about VMs), except without the ECC requirement listed.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:12 AM