Two TS License Servers for two user groups RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to have 2 Termminal Services Licensing servers in our environment. There are two types of users group based on applications. Group-1 & Group-2 created in AD. Users are included in theose groups. It is possible to redirect Group-1 to 1st TS licenses server and redirect Group-2 to 2nd TS license server? So TS-CAL licenses for Group-1 will be maintained by TS license server-1 & TS-CAL licenses for Group-2 will be maintained by TS license server-2.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no need (even if it was possible) to point users to different RD/TS Licensing servers since it will make no difference in your case.

The reason is that in order to use TS External Connector license the TS must be in Per User licensing mode, which is the same mode that it needs to be in for your Per User TS CALs.  There is no separate tracking mechanism for the external connector license.

In order to keep accurate records of your TS CAL usage I recommend you create your TS CAL usage report each month, save it to a .csv file, and then edit the file in Excel (or Notepad, etc.).  What you need to do is delete the users that are subject to the TS External Connector license, then add up the total remaining users and this will give you the true number of Per User TS CALs that you are using.

You only need to have enough Per User TS CALs to cover the true number as calculated above in order to comply with the Per User TS CAL portion of your licensing requirements.

-TP

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:58 AM

All replies

• Configuring what TS License Server a Terminal Server (or RD Session Host) uses is done on server-level not user level.

Either

1) via a GPO:
    2008R2:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Licensing\

2008:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Use the specified Terminal Server license servers

2) Or by configuring this directly on the terminal server.

So if you want to make a separation based on groups or users the only option would be to have 2 (or more) terminal servers and have :
    group-1 logon to terminalserver1 that contacts TSlicenserver1
    group-2 logon to terminalserver2 that contacts TSlicenserver2

But whether having this extra TSservers satisfies your needs would depend on the reasons you have for configuring the kind of separation

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com
    Wortell company website
    Twitter
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:55 AM
  • Hi Freek, Thanks for inputs. I am having Citrix infrastructure. Thus users are hitting Citrix-Web-server and then hitting Farm server (2 no.s). Farm Servers are terminal servers. Thus I have 2 Terminal servers however, web-servers are load-balanced for failover to provide single page web-login for all users. In this seanario how do I send Group-1 to TS License Server-1 & Group-2 to TS License Server-2?
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Hi,

Ok, I understand that you have 2 terminal servers in a farm to provide failover. Then sending group-1 to terminalserver1 (that listens to TSlicenseserver1) would not make much sense since you would then break the loadbalancing / failover. The options are:

- seperating the two terminal servers and accepting you loose (automatic) failover and loadbalancing
      - having group1 send to farm1 that holds terminalserver1 that gets licenses from TSlicenseserver1
      - having group2 send to farm2 that holds terminalserver2 that gets licenses from TSlicenseserver2

- Creating two additional terminal servers and create 2 farms of 2 servers.
      - having group1 send to farm1 that holds terminalserver1 that gets licenses from TSlicenseserver1
      - having group2 send to farm2 that holds terminalserver2 that gets licenses from TSlicenseserver2

- accept the fact that you have 1 TS Licenseserver.

Personally, I think the first two options are too much effort / sacrifice just to have split TS licenses based on groups and would go for options 3. What exactly is the reason you want to split groups on seperate TS licenseservers? Solving the rootissue for wanting this split-setup might be the best way here.

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com
    Wortell company website
    Twitter
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hi...thanks for inputs... These are 2 users groups: Group-1 - Internal users who will use Terminal Services licenses. Group-2 - External users who will use 'Terminal Services - External Connector". At present I have one TS license server. Want to prepare seperate license server for 'External connector - TS" for external users. Hope this clarifies the need to have separate Groups getting licenses from two separate licensing servers....and it is required...U will agree...!!!
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hi...thanks for inputs... These are 2 users groups: Group-1 - Internal users who will use Terminal Services licenses. Group-2 - External users who will use 'Terminal Services - External Connector". At present I have one TS license server. Want to prepare seperate license server for 'External connector - TS" for external users. Hope this clarifies the need to have separate Groups getting licenses from two separate licensing servers....and it is required...U will agree...!!!
  • Hi,

You mentioned that Group-2 will use TS External Connector license.  What type of RDS/TS CAL will Group-1 use, Per Device or Per User?

What operating system verison will your TS servers run?

-TP

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:22 PM
  • My answers as follows: What type of RDS/TS CAL will Group-1 use, Per Device or Per User? - Per User TS-CAL license What operating system verison will your TS servers run? - Windows 2008
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

There is no need (even if it was possible) to point users to different RD/TS Licensing servers since it will make no difference in your case.

The reason is that in order to use TS External Connector license the TS must be in Per User licensing mode, which is the same mode that it needs to be in for your Per User TS CALs.  There is no separate tracking mechanism for the external connector license.

In order to keep accurate records of your TS CAL usage I recommend you create your TS CAL usage report each month, save it to a .csv file, and then edit the file in Excel (or Notepad, etc.).  What you need to do is delete the users that are subject to the TS External Connector license, then add up the total remaining users and this will give you the true number of Per User TS CALs that you are using.

You only need to have enough Per User TS CALs to cover the true number as calculated above in order to comply with the Per User TS CAL portion of your licensing requirements.

-TP

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for inputs.... I have total 2 Citrix Farm Servers (in short have 2 Terminal Services Servers) Thus in my case, I will continue to have one TS-License Server with per user TS-CAL for my internal users. Now additinally I will be procuring two TS-External Connectors for 2 Farm Servers. Should I configure both TS-Extenal connectors on same TS-Licenses server? or should I configure one different server. I never used TS-External connectors thus want more clarification. How best I can configure / install TS-External connector licenses in my environment. My Environment is as follows: Citrix Farm - 2 (Terminal Servers) TS License Server - At present has per user TS-CALs configured. Now I am getting 2 TS-External connectors for Citrix Farm Servers. Can I use exiting TS License Server for configuring 2 TS-External connectors. How do I take care of failover of TS-License server (Can I install one TS-External Connector on exisitng license server and second TS-External connector on some other server?)
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:47 AM