none
More than one start date, finish date and duration for same task RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any method to enter more than one set of start and finish dates for a task in MSP 2010 ?

Thanks and Regards,

RKS

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:19 AM

All replies

• No.  You can only enter one start and finish date per task. 

Why would you want more than one start and finish date? However, you can save baselines or interim plans (see set baseline) to save different start and finish dates for reference.

cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:50 AM
  • A task is a task and has one start (along with many other singular properties). 

What are you trying to accomplish? What's behind the question?

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:43 AM
  • RKS,

MSP already has more start dates in it than you could need. There is the (scheduled/planned) earliest start and (scheduled/planned) latest start (MSP has the critical path method built in), actual start (this trumps the scheduled/planned starts), up to 10 baseline starts that get input when you save baselines, 10 spare starts that you can customise with data entry or a formula. And then there is any constraint dates for the SNET, and SNLT and MSO date constraints.
    You can see them all if you right-click on the heading of any column and go to insert column.

You can make new bars in the Gantt Chart which start at any of the starts which appear in the drop down in format bar styles.

But why? What are you actually trying to do?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Thanks Trevor ! for your response .

I am trying to do something which my boss requires !! in my Job .

The requirement is -

In my project plan - I have already one set (say - original) of start /  finish and duration for each activity .

Now my manager wants to put two other sets of Start , finish to the activities and wants to see the difference in those start / finish / duration with respect to the original plan start / finish / duration .

Hope my question is clear ?

Regards,

Ritesh

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:20 AM
  • Here's how I would do that.  Set a Baseline to store the "original" plan start and finish. I would use the custom fields Start1/Finish1 and put them on the table (right mouse click on the column header to see the command).  Create a custom computed number field (show it on the table also) which computes the the duration between the Start1/Finish1 dates and subtracts that from the baseline duration to show the difference.  I'd also ask the boss more questions to get a better understanding about what she/he is trying to accomplish to see if it really is a good idea to do this. Having been a boss many times, I know for sure that bosses don't always know everything.  I'd seek ways which solve his/her problem rather than just do what she/he say--and try to use Project as-designed to work that problem.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:56 AM