XP client eventually loses network connection RRS feed

• Question

• Myself:  I work an IT on-site help/service desk (2nd level).

Client: HP Workstation running WinXP Pro SP3 x86 in a manufacturing role at a test station on an assembly line.

Situation:  All the computers in this division run under a local user account, logged in to the computer itself.  They are joined to the domain when we configure them, but are almost never logged in to the domain by the user's or supervisors.

Problem:  We've found that over time these computers and workstations lose their connection to the network resources; it doesn't get updates, we can't PING it, can't remote into it, etc.  The "fix" is to re-join it to the domain.

Question:  What is the technical reason(s) why they drop off?  And what can be done to prevent this in the future?

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:00 PM

Answers

• Not reachable/access resources partially means out of domain. :)

System will show domain name when you check my comp properties, also domain ID also not working for login.. correct?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• Check event logs when your system is moved out of domain. Post the event id and other details.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:16 AM
  • I checked the logs of the most recent machine, but found nothing.  When I rejoined it to the domain, I didn't jojn it to a Workgroup, reboot, then join the domain; what I did was take out the FQDN of the domain and use the short version, clicked OK, rebooted as required and it said 'welcome to the xxx domain".

This is what we normally do - once or twice a week of the 500+ machines at our location for longer than I've been here.  I'm not trying to diagnose a specific incident, just trrying to figure out the reasons why this would happen to a Windows XP Pro x86 computer.  From that we hope to find a solution to prevent this in the future. 

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:49 PM
  • In this case check with your DNS server. Can be an issue with it.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:44 PM
  • That's not an option.  We don't have access to the servers.

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:56 PM
  • An idea hit me ... what if it's not 'dropping off' but the DNS  TTL expires?  I'm certainly no expert on DNS, but maybe the problem is that - since it's not logged into the domain, could the DNS record on the server(s) expire?  This gave me the start of the thought process: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Yes probably,in most of the cases, issues are with DNS when machine gets out of domain.

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Ok, but the clients are NOT out of the domain; they're just not reachable from the domain after a period of time, nor can they access network resources.

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Not reachable/access resources partially means out of domain. :)

System will show domain name when you check my comp properties, also domain ID also not working for login.. correct?

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Correct.

As for the DNS, then I'll open a ticket with the Network desk to have them look into this.

Mike

south-central Nebraska

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Sure, keep us updated.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:25 AM