SSRS Custom Authentication and publishing mobile reports RRS feed

• Question

• I have a reporting services 2016 server configured to use custom authentication following the example on http://msftrsprodsamples.codeplex.com/. I am implementing the Security Extension Example.

The extension works for users browsing the reporting services portal to view reports, and also works when I try to publish a report or dataset using Visual Studio. However, when I try to connect to the portal using the SQL Server Mobile Report Publisher, I get an error that reads:

Could not connect to server. Please check the connection parameters and try again.

In the Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost_*.log file, the error message reads:

Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Anonymous logon is not configured. userIdentity should not be null!
       at Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.AuthenticationExtension.GetUserInfo(IRSRequestContext requestContext, IIdentity& userIdentity, IntPtr& userId) in C:\Source\Cash360\Analytics\Security\FormsAuthentication\Main\FormsAuthentication\AuthenticationExtension.cs:line 129
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost.Services.AuthenticationService.GetUserInfo(IRSRequestContext requestContext)

The custom security module Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity is expecting the IRSRequestContext to have a valid User property, but the IRSRequestContext.User property is blank.

public void GetUserInfo(IRSRequestContext requestContext, out IIdentity userIdentity, out IntPtr userId)
          {

userIdentity = null;

if (requestContext.User != null)

As mentioned, this works for authenticating users who browse the report portal folders, as well as for Visual Studio users who publish reports and datasets. Also, I can manually upload the mobile report to the report portal, and it works fine.

So, how can I enable custom authentication for the Mobile Report Publisher?

Gregory Block, PhD, MBA

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Gregory,

From your this post , Boreki[MSFT] has confirmed the issue :"Just a clarification on the support for custom athentication I want to clarify that the Mobile Apps do not yet support custom authentication, only NTLM and Basic, but publishing and viewing mobile reports through the browser is supported."

Thanks,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Gregory,

From your description, it seems that you would like to connect to Report Server with custom authentication by SQL Server Mobile Report Publisher, right?

As far as I know, this is a known problem that SQL Server Mobile Report Publisher doesn't support custom authentication. Perhaps the feature will be supported in the later version of SSRS. So, in your scenario, I would suggest you to submit the request to Microsoft, Microsoft will response to you.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Pirlo Zhang Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Pirlo, thanks for your reply.

You state, "as far as I know,  this is a known problem that SQL Server Mobile Report Publisher doesn't support custom authentication".

Can you provide a link from Microsoft that documents that Mobile Report Publisher doesn't support custom authentication?

Thanks!

Gregory Block, PhD, MBA

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:12 PM
  • Hi Gregory,

From your this post , Boreki[MSFT] has confirmed the issue :"Just a clarification on the support for custom athentication I want to clarify that the Mobile Apps do not yet support custom authentication, only NTLM and Basic, but publishing and viewing mobile reports through the browser is supported."

Thanks,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Pirlo, thanks for clarifying. Yes, I have confirmed that custom security extensions work on mobile reports when using SQL Server 2016 on a Windows server 2012 platform. However, as you point out, the mobile reports publisher will not publish to a reporting services instance that use the custom security extensions. Instead, I have been developing mobile reports on a reporting services instance that uses Windows authentication, and uploading them to the report portal to the reporting services instance that uses custom security extensions. As long as the folder structure of data sets and drill through mobile reports is honored between the Windows and custom security instances, the mobile report will work without any problems (in my experience.)

Gregory Block, PhD, MBA

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:33 PM