none
Backing up VMs with checkpoints? RRS feed

• Question

• Is backing up Hyper-V virtual machines that contain checkpoints supported? I'm consistently getting "DPM failed to fixup VHD parent locator post backup" errors when attempting to do backups of such VMs.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:12 PM

Answers

• OK - I duplicated the senario - It should not effect backup or restores, so it's basically a nag alert that can be ignored.  I see about getting this fixed in Vnext release of DPM.
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by vibes Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:02 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So you are asking if DPM supports Hyper-V snapshots ?   Yes, and it should not cause any errors.

Check is any of the following are true.

1. The VHD contains a dynamic disk inside the guest OS.
    2. The VHD has no volume (non-formatted).
    3. HyperV role is not installed on DPM server.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hi Mike

The DPM server is running in a virtual machine itself, so installing the Hyper-V role is not an option. No biggie, we usually avoid keeping checkpoints for more than a couple of hours anyway.

I was aware (from the documentation) that the Hyper-V role is a prerequisite for Item Level Recovery (which we don´t need), but this is seemingly also needed for backing up checkpoints?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I believe the error is pretty generic and should occur for any guest backups because you cannot install the hyper-V role, not just guests that have snapshots.

Is this the error you are talking about ? 

"DPM failed to fixup VHD parent locator post backup for Microsoft Hyper-V\Backup Using Child Partition ShapShot\Guest_name on hyperv.domain.dom.  Your recovery point is valid, but you will be unable to perform item-level recoveries using this recovery point. (ID 3130)".

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Yes, that is the exact error message. It does not occur for any of the other 60 or so VMs I am backing up - just for the three VMs that have snapshots (two Windows 2003 and one Linux guest).

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:02 PM
  • OK - I duplicated the senario - It should not effect backup or restores, so it's basically a nag alert that can be ignored.  I see about getting this fixed in Vnext release of DPM.
    • Marked as answer by vibes Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:02 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Thanks, Mike.
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:02 AM