Incorrect Disk Assignment For Internal Physical HDs and Other Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 computer with Windows 7 Prof (SP1), and  two installed  internal physical HDs.  The HDs were initally setup as follows: 1st Physical HD (Disk O - Disk Management): OS (C)(920gb), OEM (no letter)(39gb), and No Name (no letter)(10.88gb).  The 2nd Physical HD (used only for data backup)(Disk 1 - Disk Management): Image Backup (D)(521gb), and Data Backup, (E)(410gb) 

In the past few months, I began to notice unusual problems with the computer such as: (1) in Disk Management, Disk O would be reversed with Disk 1.  Generally, a reboot would resolve this problem.  (2) I also began to have problems with moving files and folders and some other unusal errors (3) Had problems in seeing the external HDs (USB).  Checked the external HDs on another computer and they were okay.  (4) Began to have trouble with printer errors). 

I decided to check the computers memory (Windows Memory Disagnostice) and found errors.   Checked with Dell, and they decided to replace all of the existing memory.  The computer did seem to settle down a bit, but the external HD problem began to appear again, as well as the printer.  Dell decided to replace the motherboard (replaced yesterday).  The printer errors have gone away and the external HDs did appear in Disk Management but I had to assign a partition letter to each external HD so that I could see them in windows explorer (did not have to do this in the past except for the initial setup of the external HDs).  As to Disk assignment, in Disk Management, the primary HD (OS) is now Disk 1 and the second internal HD for Data is now Disk O.   I went to System Information (Disks) and it too shows the same information as Disk Management.

I would very much appreciate any help in resolving the above problems.  Sam

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks very much for your reply.   After some discussion with Dell, I checked the internal HDs data cables to the motherboard and they  had a reverse or incorrect connection.  Since I changed the connection, my computer is now operating very well, including the correct Disk assignment such as Disk O for the primary HD (OS C:).  Sam
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, August 12, 2011 10:17 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:40 AM

All replies

• Thanks very much for your reply.   After some discussion with Dell, I checked the internal HDs data cables to the motherboard and they  had a reverse or incorrect connection.  Since I changed the connection, my computer is now operating very well, including the correct Disk assignment such as Disk O for the primary HD (OS C:).  Sam
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, August 12, 2011 10:17 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Thanks for your update.

I will mark your reply as "Answered".

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 12, 2011 10:17 AM