none
DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. DPM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to backup a VM in a virtual cluster Hyper-V on Windows 2012 Server.

Some VM's backup with no problems but a few are giving me this error:  DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID: 30112)

Any ideas?

Monday, March 4, 2013 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Jacob,

The error you are referring to is usually a result of either the Hyper V VSS writer in failed or in waiting for completion state on the Hyper V state. Check the following :

1) Before running the backup from DPM - run VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS on the Hyper V host. Check the status of the writers.

2) If all the writers are stable then run the backup. However, if the Hyper V VSS writers are not stable then you can restart the Hyper V service (Hyper V VMM service) to get them stable.

3) Post initiating the backup, check the status of the writers again.

4) Also check the event viewer on the Hyper V host under -> Applications and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Hyper V VMMS logs.

5) Along with this you can look at the application and system logs on the hyper v host.

6) Last point to check would also be the Virtual Machine and the status of the writers inside the VM before and after the backup was initiated.

Keep me posted :)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All. Regards, AJ (MSFT)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Jmurbach,

on the protected server, look for VSS or Volsnap errors in Application & System event viewer and try to correct them and the backups should then succeed.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

The error you are referring to is usually a result of either the Hyper V VSS writer in failed or in waiting for completion state on the Hyper V state. Check the following :

1) Before running the backup from DPM - run VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS on the Hyper V host. Check the status of the writers.

2) If all the writers are stable then run the backup. However, if the Hyper V VSS writers are not stable then you can restart the Hyper V service (Hyper V VMM service) to get them stable.

3) Post initiating the backup, check the status of the writers again.

4) Also check the event viewer on the Hyper V host under -> Applications and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Hyper V VMMS logs.

5) Along with this you can look at the application and system logs on the hyper v host.

6) Last point to check would also be the Virtual Machine and the status of the writers inside the VM before and after the backup was initiated.

Keep me posted :)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All. Regards, AJ (MSFT)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:21 PM
  • I will try this. Thanks AJ!
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:16 PM
  • The issue here was this:

This machine use to a physical box that had an agent installed.  Recently it was P2V and when I tried to back it up in the virtual cluster it gave the error above.

Thanks AJ!

Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:16 PM