Problem with upgrade to "Creators Update" on NVMe disk

Question

• Hi,
    I'm successfully running Windows 10 x64 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) installed on Samsung EVO 960 NVMe SSD disk. I'm using UEFI boot on my MSI Raider X99A motherboard. I made a clean install couple of months ago. No problems sofar.

Now I'm trying to upgrade to Creators Update (Version 1703) via Windows Update and I'm getting BSOD with error code 0xc00000bb ("A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed") at the beginning of the first reboot stage during update.

Any ideas?
    PetrP

Monday, April 17, 2017 1:50 PM

Answers

• Chkdsk didn't find any problem. Upgrade from installation DVD didn't help either.

I gave up and did clean install instead of upgrade. No problems sofar.

Thank you for your help

PetrP

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi PetrP.

First, please run startup repair for your original Windows 10 1607:

1. Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery -> Advanced startup.

2. Click Restart Now button into the WinRE console.

3. Select Troubleshoot ->Advanced options ->Startup repair.

After that, using the Creation Media tool to upgrade to Windows 10 1703 for test:

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If the issue persists, upload the Setupact.log and Setuperr.log to OneDrive and share the link here:

It may under:

windows~bt\source\panther
    or
    %systemroot%\Panther

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

the issue still persists.

Requested log files are here

Sunday, May 7, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your error log:

Firstly, please take ownership of the following registry entry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade

Then do the these things:

1. Disable/uninstall ALL antivirus software.
    2. Disable unnecessary General USB Devices (your card reader, etc.).
    3. Enable clean booting.
    4. If you have any non-critical external USB devices plugged in (USB flash storage drives, external hard disks, CD/DVD burners, game controllers, etc.) unplug them.

Afterwards, upgrade again.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 9:51 AM
  • I did all the steps above and the problem persists. I'm still getting the same BSOD at the very beginning of the first reboot.

New logs are here (with prefix version2-)

Very similar :-) problem here

• Edited by ppicka Monday, May 8, 2017 9:56 PM
    Monday, May 8, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

According to your setup log, it cannot obtain your disk information and cannot install the WinPE in your system partition.

I suggest you disconnect your disk and inset it again.

And then run chkdsk /r command for your system partition.

Meanwhile, upgrade from the Installation DVD.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Chkdsk didn't find any problem. Upgrade from installation DVD didn't help either.

I gave up and did clean install instead of upgrade. No problems sofar.

Thank you for your help

PetrP

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Same issue here. The problem seems to be linked to NVMe disks in combinaison with Windows 10.

I contacted Samsung, they say it is an MS issue ; I contacted ASUS (provider of my motherboard), they say it is a Samsung NVMe issue. Many chances MS will say it is one of the other 2 ..... or both of them.

BTW, I had the very same issue when trying to upgrade from 1511 to 1607. Absolutely no way to sort it out, I had to do a clean install. Now, facing back the issue with 1703 ....

I saw on a ASUS forum a dude saying that the only "solution" (other than complete re-install) is to clone the OS to a non-NVMe disk, startup from this new disk, do the upgrade on this one and than clone back ..... Not really acceptable in fact .... this guy also said that in the BIOS, the Windows Boot Manager does not show the name of the NVMe disk and that is the reason why the upgrade fails .....

So MS, what do you suggest ?

• Edited by Jj GP Friday, July 14, 2017 7:21 AM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Hello All,

Me too, I am experiencing this Blue Recovery Screen, "error code: 0xc00000bb", a required device isn't connected .....  issue.

Yesterday I build a brand new PC based on an Asus Strix X299-E Gaming MoBo, a Core i9 7900X and a 1TB Samsung M.2 960 Pro NVMe SSD. All went well up to the desired Creators Update.

The Asus MoBo has the latest BIOS (0402) the Samsung SSD has the latest firmware. I am puzzling to get this sorted out and if I find a solution I'll post back.

Maybe a solution pops up over here :-)

Regards.

• Edited by Gustave47 Saturday, July 15, 2017 10:51 AM
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 10:28 AM
  • welcome to the club .... your hope is mine too ... ;-)
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 6:53 AM
  • up ?
    Friday, July 21, 2017 2:34 AM
  • Same here with my MSI X299 Carbon, i7-7800X and Samsung 960 512GB.

Microsoft seems to have forgot that hardware is developing and forgot to include some advanced NVME drivers in the update so it actually can talk to the NVME drive..

Seems that I have to install my old Intel 750 PCI-Express NVME drive or something else to clone and reclone.

Because reinstall is no solution for me.. to much data to recover... 

If I knew this, I would no upgrade my workstation.. but it's a huge MS problem.. they seems to have been sleeping while Intel etc. made the Skylake platform..

Friday, July 21, 2017 9:41 AM
  • 'Prompted' upgrade from 1511. Restart fails with 'required device isn't connected or can't be accessed'. Error code 0xc0000bb.

System spec:

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.1007)
    Boot Mode: UEFI - American Megatrends Inc. 0219 06/05/2017
    3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-7800X
    Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING Rev 1.xx
    NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Pro [Hard drive] (512.11 GB)
    32440 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB [Display adapter]
    Kaspersky Total Security Version 18.0.0.405

This happened today (25th July '17) so I assume no fix from MS yet

Sadly is the only option is to image to another (non-NVMe) SSD, do the upgrade, and then image back?

• Proposed as answer by Maxlength Friday, September 29, 2017 1:15 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:05 PM
  • ... So far, I do not have any other "solution" than that ...... :-( :-( :-(

This is really a SHAME ....
    • Edited by Jj GP Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:07 AM
    Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:07 AM
  • For me the same with my NVMe Samsung 960 and I definitly blame MS for that bullshit!

Q: Why?
    A: Because MS has to follow the hardware engineering and develop then a full functional software on that. Ok, errors may always occour but if they had spent mor time in the section for the NVMe's we had not the current problem.

Means in fact, that software developers which uses hardwar directly - like Windows it does - has to check out how the hardware works and how compatibality can be provided. Since this wasn't done by MS and since nobody from MS has responded here it is for me the indication that MS has no solution for this problem to rerelease v1703 ... SAHME on you MS!

My solution, since updates can't be disabled anymore like it was possible with WinXP: Disable the Windows Update Service over the services as long as there are no rly important updates/upgrades and all will be fine. Well, you must reactivate it manually to install/update Apps from the MS Store but how cares about it? I definitly not.

Hopefully the next version hasn't this problem anymore and MS has learnd how to do it correctly otherwise no updates in the future because of Never touch a running System!

Cheers :)

Saturday, July 29, 2017 10:31 AM
  • Same issue for me as well.  Samsung pro 960 NVMe. Fresh Windows install on a MSI X99 mobo.  :'(  

I'm on a older version of Windows 10 since that is the media I had.  

Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:00 PM
  • I may be wrong, but I thought KB4023057 is the update package problem I am facing (from 1511). I believe this update 'includes files and resources that [is supposed to] address issues that affect the update processes in Windows 10. Improvements ensure that quality updates are installed seamlessly to improve the reliability and security of Windows 10'.

Interesting.

Is Karen Hu (MSFT CSG) still keeping in touch with this issue? If so, can she please escalate and respond with what corrective action will be taken and when.

If MSFT need a test resource particularly for my hardware configuration (above) I can be available....

Friday, August 4, 2017 9:54 PM
  • up ?
    Monday, August 21, 2017 12:56 PM
  • Is there a solution? Windows New Install or not ?

I need the update for Age of Empires Definitive Edition.

I can not buy it because the version 15063.0 (creator update) is the prerequisite.

My Harddisk is from Samsung 960 NVME too...

Sorry for my bad english :)

Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:53 AM
  • no solution so far, and MS does not seem willing to work on it .....
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 10:21 AM
  • I have a laptop MSI GT72S 6QE.
    Windows is installed on the NVMe SSD m2 drive Samsung 950 Pro (MZ-V5P512BW). GPT.
    During the upgrade, after the reboot, a blue screen appeared, on which it is written: A required device is not connected or can not be accessed. (0xc0000225)

The bootrec /fixboot + bootrec /fixmbr + bootrec /rebuildbcd commands do not help, although cmd disks + content sees.
    The C:\boot directory is not on the drive with Windows installed. There is a directory C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\.
    Windows 10 USB install drive "Startup repair tool": Startup repair countn't repair your PC.

bootrec /scanos tell: Total identified Windows installations: 0

This is a laptop and you do not want to re-install the OS. Tell me, please, how to restore the old operating system?
    Thank you.

Saturday, September 2, 2017 6:49 PM
  • all of you seem to be running Samsung NVMe drives, so would be interesting to know if you installed their NVMe driver (secnvme.sys.). And when yes, which version.

This wouldn't be the first time of Samsung blaming Microsoft for crashes, until they finally fixed it in a newer driver:
    Hyper-V crashes when using the Samsung NMVe driver with the 960 Pro SSD
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 7:59 PM
  • i didn't find a file with this name (secnvme) on drive C: (the drive on which Windows is installed).
    also, when i installed this NVMe SSD from Samsung, i didn't install any drivers, because everything worked fine without them (more than a year), until Windows was updated and everything was spoiled.
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:39 PM
  • If you are able to post any of these we may be able to help your troubleshooting:

1) mini dump:   file explorer > this PC  local c: drive > search:

%SystemRoot%\Minidump

or

c:\windows\minidump

2) memory dump:  file explorer > this PC  local c: drive > search:  

%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP 

or

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

3) msinfo32:  In left lower corner search type msinfo32  wait 5 minutes for it to load > save to desktop > share link

4) dxdiag:  In left lower corner search type dxdiag > wait 5 minutes for it to load > save to desktop > share link

Sunday, September 3, 2017 4:29 AM
  • Hi.
    C:\Windows\minidump\ directory and C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP file didn't exist for me, because BSOD never happened on this laptop.
    msinfo32 and dxdiag commands could not be executed, because Windows didn't load.
    Using EasyUEFI 3.0, i launched "Rebuild the EFI system partition" and Windows 10 began to load correctly.
    I hope Microsoft will fix this bug in the future and i will be able to update my Windows up to Creators Update.
    Thank you.
    Sunday, September 3, 2017 3:01 PM
  • The nvme I have not done before so I don't know if you can perform any of the below steps as these steps are for a c: drive.

If you have your files backed up or can make another clean install:

Remove all hardware (printers, headset, ipod, etc.)

disconnect from the internet (turn off wireless by a mechanical button if available and disconnect wired ethernet connection.

1) find a flash drive that you can format.

2) create a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) place the bootable windows 10 iso into any USB drive

4) change the bios boot order or repetitively click the applicable F key to boot to the USB drive

5) once the windows 10 iso loads click install

6) delete partitions, format the drive if needed, make an unallocated drive

7) re-install windows 10 following the text and images in this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Monday, September 4, 2017 3:41 AM
  • this last post is missing the point. We do not want to do a re-install ! (BTW we know of to do that !) We want the bloody creator update to be able to update our current W10 system to the last version without being obliged to re-install from scratch !

We are desesparetly looking for a solution, and the problem is definitely linked to the way MS does (not) handle NVMe Disks  ...

Thanks

• Edited by Jj GP Monday, September 4, 2017 5:05 AM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 5:01 AM
  • You may be able to do that if you can find a web site that has available a windows 1607 iso or a friend or neighbor or local computer store that has a windows 1607 iso.
    Monday, September 4, 2017 7:02 AM
  • ist RE-INSTALL the solution ?

does this work ?

Monday, September 4, 2017 6:13 PM
  • If it were a C: drive you could perform an in place upgrade repair using a windows 1607 iso.

This would allow saving files and applications.

Again for the NVMe disk I have no information.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Whatever iso is used is the upgrade level if the wireless and wired is off to prevent windows upgrades.

So you could have 1511, 1607 or 1703 iso.

Monday, September 4, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Can you please keep focus on the title of this thread:

"Problem with upgrade to "Creators Update" on NVMe disk" .... in place upgrade DOES NOT work with NMVMe disks, exactly the problem .....

• Edited by Jj GP Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:35 PM
  • i was having this exact same issue. samsung 960 pro nvme, evga x99 classified mb. i tried updating prob 5-6 times with the upgrade assistant and would get bsod and error  0xc00000bb. i finally got it to work tonight by using the media creation tool and made a usb stick. ran setup on the stick then chose to keep my files and settings. went through without a hitch. everything was just as i left it so it really only did an update. i lost nothing. for safe measure i did clone my disk before i started so i could clone it back if something went wrong. wasnt necessary though.
    • Proposed as answer by T3Kish Friday, September 8, 2017 3:45 AM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:49 AM
  • This is the absolute correct way to do upgrade without 0xc00000bb error for NVME. Was about to call it a night before I read your post. I encourage anyone still having problems to try this method. Use the Media creation tool, i also used a USB and chose to keep files and settings. Worked like a charm
    • Edited by T3Kish Friday, September 8, 2017 3:50 AM Grammar
    Friday, September 8, 2017 3:49 AM
  • This is the absolute correct way to do upgrade without 0xc00000bb error for NVME. Was about to call it a night before I read your post. I encourage anyone still having problems to try this method. Use the Media creation tool, i also used a USB and chose to keep files and settings. Worked like a charm

which iso file ?

1607 or 1703

Friday, September 8, 2017 7:59 AM

this did not work for me, ending-up with BSOD at first reboot with always the same f....ng message:

\windows\system32\winload.efi

error code 0xc0000225

go to h.ll MS

Friday, September 8, 2017 2:24 PM
  • 1703. i went from old version right to creators edition. media creation tool made the usb stick with creators on it.
    Saturday, September 9, 2017 12:16 AM
  • i was having this exact same issue. samsung 960 pro nvme, evga x99 classified mb. i tried updating prob 5-6 times with the upgrade assistant and would get bsod and error  0xc00000bb. i finally got it to work tonight by using the media creation tool and made a usb stick. ran setup on the stick then chose to keep my files and settings. went through without a hitch. everything was just as i left it so it really only did an update. i lost nothing. for safe measure i did clone my disk before i started so i could clone it back if something went wrong. wasnt necessary though.

Didn't work for me, i still get the same error code on reboot. 

When booting from the usb stick i can't even choose the upgrade installation. When i try to install from running system i get as far as the first reboot which leads to the error.

Any other ideas? 

PS: What are your UEFI settings? (boot priority)

• Edited by eskiim0 Sunday, September 10, 2017 1:41 PM
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 1:39 PM
  • your boot priority in the bios has to be set to the hard drive first. the install requires a few reboots so if the first boot is set to usb then you get stuck in a never ending loop of the install restarting. if you have windows running and you open the usb stick then just click on startup.exe and it will start.
    Monday, September 11, 2017 1:59 AM
  • The solution for me (after 7 damn hours) was quite simple!

If your installation is on the m2/NVMe disk, EACH restart during the installation of the update, you need to go into the bios and rearrange the boot order or press F8 to keep booting from the correct drive that you need! I'm not sure where or how it happens, but it seems Windows simply doesn't "see" the drive unless directed during the installation process

Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:52 PM
  • I just allowed the system to perform a security update which needed an update to the latest Win 10 version. It then started to update from 1511 to 1703 (build 15063.632). This it completed successfully therefore in my case it no longer appeared to have the  0xc0000bb error.   Hopefully that resolves the NVMe issue for everyone else.

Friday, September 29, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Same issue for me. This is on a new PC I just built last week. I installed Win 10 Pro 64bit.  Everything went OK.  After one of the re-boots it took me to the Creators Update.  It downloaded OK and started the update process.  Then, at the first re-boot, I got the blue screen.  This is on a brand new Win 10 install on a brand new PC.

I tried running the Creators update again several times.  Same result.  Boot order is already set to the boot SSD (Samsung 960) in the BIOS.

No solution for me so far.  Suggestions welcome.

Peter

Friday, September 29, 2017 5:23 PM
  • Got the same issue but I had Microsoft support remote access pc and they told me the reason why it won't install is because the motherboard not supported and I have msi x99 carbon , but he did say in future it should be supported. And gave me this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/check-this-list-to-determine-if-your-computer-is/5152bb37-f95d-48a6-b7b2-ad0d5c738923?auth=1

Hope this helps

• Edited by PinPoinT- Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:07 AM
    Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:06 AM
  • Thanks for this information!

I have an Asus Prime X299 Deluxe motherboard.  On the link you provided I clicked on Asus but all I see is notebook, desktop and all-in-One models.  I don't see motherboard models.  Is there a motherboard list  somewhere?

I'm trying to determine the root of this problem.

1.  Is it the fact that I'm using an NVMe SSD boot drive?  If I switched to an "old fashioned" SATA SSD would the problem go away?

2.  Is the problem my particular motherboard?  Meaning, it's an Asus problem?

3.  Something else.

Thanks.

Peter

Monday, October 2, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Does this problem exist only when using an NVMe disk?

1.  If I removed my NVMe disk and replaced it with an "old fashioned" SATA SSD does this problem go away?

2.  Is it specific to Samsung NVMe disks?

I recently built a new PC using using a Samsung 960 PRO.  I have not installed most of my applications yet so starting from scratch with a non-NVMe disk is something I would be willing to do if it would make this problem disappear.

Thanks.

Peter

Monday, October 2, 2017 1:34 PM
  • when you build the PC just a week ago: why didn't you directly install the current version?

I clean installed Windows 10 1703 on an Samsung 960 Evo and Asrock H270 Pro4 without a hitch.

Monday, October 2, 2017 1:49 PM
  • I installed the version that came on the Microsoft Win10 Pro USB Flash drive I purchased and assumed it would update to the latest version with no problems as was the case on all of my other PCs.  One of my other PCs also has a Samsung 960 Pro and there was no problem upgrading it to Creators.

How did you get version Creator's/1703 to do a clean install?  Did you use the Media Creation Tool or some other way?

Am I understanding correctly that this Creator's/NVMe problem happens only when trying to update from a previous version to 1703 but does not happen when doing a clean install of 1703?

Peter

Monday, October 2, 2017 3:09 PM
  • yes, I used the media creation tool to create a bootable USB stick with Creators Update.
    I did not hear of any problems clean installing on a NVMe.
    But as the mainboard manufactureres have compatibility lists for NVMe drives (which seems to be not necessary for SATA SSD drives) they seem to be more problematic.
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:14 PM
  • I just used the Media Creation tool to make a bootable USB flash drive.  How can I tell if it has the Creator's version on it?  Many of the files on it have dates going back to February or March, 2017.  That doesn't look like Creator's to me.

If it doesn't have Creator's on it how can I do it again and ensure it gets that version?

Thanks.

Peter

Monday, October 2, 2017 10:15 PM

• After you create the windows 10 iso you can check the information on the iso to see the windows version:

1) find a flash drive that you can format

2) create a bootable windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) Insert the flash drive into any USB port

4) Open file explorer > this PC > identify the drive letter for the windows 10 iso

5) Open administrative command prompt

6) type or copy and paste:  dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:F:\sources\install.esd /index:1

For example the above command is if the windows 10 iso is drive letter F.  If the drive you are using is E or G then change the drive letter to the respective drive.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:14 AM
  • I have also Msi x99 gaming pro carbon and same issue. Upgrade to 1709 and after restart error 0xc00000bb. Did you contact MSI support? According the spec this MB should support Win 10 Creators update.
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 9:15 PM
  • I have the same problem with the 0xc00000bb error.

I'm using an ASUS TUF x299 Mark 2 motherboard with a
    Samsung EVO 960 NVMe M.2 SSD

A few months ago, I was able to install the 1703 version of Windows 10 by doing a clean install thanks to the MediaCreationTool. But now it's time for the 1709 Fall Creators update and I really don't want to do a clean install again.

• Edited by Ebolit Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Perhaps it should be called Microsoft FAIL update 1709

I am facing the exact same issue on my X299 Asus Prime Deluxe Bios 0802 and my Samsung NVME, no matter what i do this 1709 update just fails to boot every time with error code 0xc00000bb or 0xc000000f

Many things i tried to get the thing working including bcd repair,chkdsk /r, diskpart, sfc, i even unplugged all my non essential peripherals and other disks, i tried the Microsoft update tool, Easybcd, a media created usb flashdrive of windows 10, nothing worked i then search the error codes and see that it is because i own a Samsung NVME drive. 

After all night messing with this thing, i guess it had me worried that my hardware was malfunctioning or missing like the error told me, except my brand new computer runs flawlessly and this was the only update that has caused this in fact i have not had a single issue at all until now.

while poking in bcdedit i see that after the update i now had 3 entries in my boot menu instead of the 1 that i started with.

1 had no name it was blank

2 and 3 were the same named entrys

every time i attempted to try installing it again it left 3 new entries in my boot manager 

So in conclusion until it is fixed i am disabling windows update.

System specs

Windows 10 home x64 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Skylake-X 7900X

Asus Prime Deluxe Bios 0802

GTX 1080

Crucial DDR4 2400 mhz  64GB

Samsung 960 Evo NVME 256 GB

Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB

• Edited by ano111 Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:01 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:56 AM
  • @ano111 I have the almost the same setup as you and I have the same issue. This all revolve around the fact that we have a samsung NVME. This is a big fail in software quality insurance from Microsoft. They should have tested the update on those kind of system. I also tried every possible way of upgrading like using the MediaCreationTool and I also get the 0xc00000bb error on reboot telling me that my computer needs to be repaired. All things said cloning on a ssd to upgrade is not an option for me and neither is reinstalling at the moment. I just want to upgrade Windows and keep everything installed.
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:38 AM
  • I got REALLY stuck on this, and I used to work on Windows (mostly kernel) tests, it threw me for a loop. 

I did solve it though, so keep reading, if you're stuck like I was.

I pre-loaded my NVME drivers, as part of my 16299.15 USB media, but no-dice, I couldn't get past the bad boot device issue (also on an NVME, Samsung 960 Pro).

Finally, out of desperation, I converted the whole mess into IRST, sort of a one-driver RAID, which "abstracts" the storage model (NVME doesn't even come into play on my box in this config), and made sure the requisite UEFI entries were there still (there are lots of good, free UEFI tools out there).  I think that the IRST setup also pre-populates the UEFI entries, which is also a good thing, when you're trying to boot of a drive with potentially "migrating" UEFI entries (my 960 Pro has always differed here, depending on the BIOS revision).

This worked, and I was able to (finally) upgrade, pretty much smooth-sailing in IRST.

Then, I down-converted the drive, by re-enabling AHCI drivers at boot, and flipping it back, in my BIOS (in that order).

Now I have 1709(16299.19, with the Tuesday updates), and am back on my zippy NVME interface.

Hopefully, Windows will address this a bit better, moving forward, and the BIOS vendors will do some legwork here too, they could do more in "compatibility mode" than they are (at least on my ASUS X299 board).

Hopefully this un-blocks some others.

I was feeling pretty stymied, I couldn't even debug it, I'm not set up for early-boot kernel debug; plus I think I would've just seen the storage stack problem, and not really been able to do much about early-boot load stuff, from a consumer standpoint.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:37 PM
  • i made a clone of my OS to a normal HDD (the entire disk and all partitions were cloned)

The clone booted and i am installing 1709 with the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool onto the super slow HDD

The clone upgraded to 1709 and booted into 1709 with welcome lets get your updates screen

the cloning worked i am now on my NVME drive with 1709

for anyone wondering i used Easybcd 2.3 to make sure my system booted after the upgrade

by deleting all the old entries in my boot configuration using this tool and then adding a new boot entry for the drive letter i wished to boot from and then saving it, i did this while still in OS after downloading update, otherwise it never would have booted.

when i cloned back to my NVME with 1709 on, while on my HDD i deleted all entries in BCD again and added the drive letter for the NVME and set as default in the Easybcd 2.3 tool so that it booted to my NVME

in my case the HDD i cloned to was C: and my NVME was D: so i went into Easybcd deleted all current entries in the boot config and added D: to the boot configuration which i named "windows 10 1709 NVME" i set as default saved and restarted my computer

Easybcd tool https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3112-easybcd.html

Cloning software Macrium https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

• Edited by ano111 Friday, October 20, 2017 11:05 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:43 PM
  • I tried removing samsung nvme driver using the defaut one and update using the upgrade assistant but it still had the 0xc00000bb error. 
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:40 PM
  • I also have the Samsung EVO 960 NVMe SSD and the exact same problem! I'm running Version 1703 without any issues. It's a brand new computer and I installed everything like 2 weeks ago! I use this computer for work and there is NOO WAY that I will go through the "installing all of my programs and tools" nightmare again!

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail. I've cloned the SSD to a standard hdd, tried to convert to intel rapid storage, but in both cases I couldn't boot into windows. So now I'll give up and wait for a fix! That's super frustrating, I mean doesn't get stuff like this tested?

Friday, October 20, 2017 12:35 AM
  • @ano 111 Did you clone the whole drive or just the partition with Windows on it? I wasn't able to get the cloned drive booting. I get the normal "Windows loading" Screen and then my PC restarts.

Friday, October 20, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Hey guys,

i also have a brand new Samsung EVO 960 and a Asus X299 Seluxe Mainboard and the same problem after updating.

Still no solution for this prob ? I googled the whole day but i did not find anything.......

Friday, October 20, 2017 2:46 PM
  • +1

I have the exact same problem Samsung 960 Pro in a Asus X299 Deluxe.  Just completed a fresh installation using the Media Creation tool last weekend of 1703, and now the 1709 update results in the 0xc00000bb error.  No drive errors found,  SFC, DISM, all come back clean.

Friday, October 20, 2017 4:28 PM
  • BTW, the media creation tool option did not work either.  It said I could not upgrade the current version of Windows (1703) using the media creation boot tool, and I should boot into Windows and use the Update option instead.
    Friday, October 20, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Same problem, same error. I've a Xeon based system on MSI X99A Workstation with Samsung 960 Pro as boot disk... I tried every proposed solution, but the problem is still here.

It seems that, in the first reboot, the bios "looses" the m.2 drive as boot disk...

Friday, October 20, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Same issue here. I have Asus Prime X299 Deluxe with Samsung 960 PRO. All firmware and bios is up to date. I had the same issue for the first time when I installed the computer a two months ago. That time installing via Media Creation Tool and using fresh 1703 build works. Now the update from 1703 to 1709 ends up with same error 0xc00000bb.

If I use Media Creation Tool now, does it create 1703 or 1709 build version?

Is there a way how to disable NVMe?

Friday, October 20, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Same issue as everyone. Asus X299 Prime deluxe with Samsung 960. Samsung M.2 seems to be the common theme. I had no issues with the new install a couple of months ago, just with this update. Error was the same 0x00000bb.

Friday, October 20, 2017 8:09 PM
  • I have the same issue.  I have an i7-7820x, with an ASUS Prime X-299A motherboard, a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 drive, with a couple other SATA drives.  When I try to upgrade to the 1709 update I get error 0x00000bb when I do the first reboot after downloading the update.  Nothing seems to get rid of the error message.  Will Microsoft ever issue a fix so we can upgrade ?
    Friday, October 20, 2017 9:44 PM
  • The whole drive and all partitions on it was cloned
    Friday, October 20, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Same here, ASUS X299 Deluxe with 960 Pro M.2

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:15 AM
  • If you can get the update to work the improvements to the boot time are finally what they should be for a NVME drive on a X299 board, instead of waiting 25-30 seconds watching as the windows spinny circle disappears and reappears 3 or 4 times when i boot up before i get to the login screen, now this does not happen and boot time is under 10 seconds.

I always wondered why it took so long.

the other decent part is the GPU usage in the task manager as per application or task and everything feels a lot snappier than 1703 and prior., it shuts down much faster too since the update

• Edited by ano111 Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:24 AM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Update after 6 months: Today I upgraded from 1703 (Creators Update) to 1709 (Fall Creators Update) on the same computer without any problem.
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Well I have this problem now on Creators Fall. 

Asus Prime x299 deluxe and Samsung Pro NVMe.

Asus says it is not their problem - it is a Microsoft problem.

Hmmmm.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 7:41 AM
  • I just updated from 1703 to 1709 on my Samsung 960 Evo and Asrock H270 Pro4 (Intel H270 chipset).
    But I used the USB stick created by media creation tool.
    So its not a general problem with Windows 10 and NVMe drives.

What is interesting is that all of the problematic systems seems to have either an Intel x99 or X299 chipset
    in this thread: MSI X99A, Asus Prime x299, ASUS TUF x299, Evga x99.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Can you mybe tell us how you did that? I cant even Update from USB drive.
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:46 PM
  • I too am having the same issue... Samsung 960 Pro w/ Asus X299 Deluxe. If there's a Windows developer that reads this, I'd be happy to shoot them logs. I'm a developer w/ WINDBG and all sorts of tools installed if there's some question as to what's happening here. My sense is it's a Microsoft issue, something goofy is happening when the installer is trying to get access to the drive during boot.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 1:41 PM
  • One more for the collection, ASUS X299 Deluxe and 960evo, same error. Tried everything I could think of, nothing worked.

When booting from USB and going into the command prompt, bootrec does detect the 960 and the current installation, but the drive letters are switched around. I have the 960 as C, 840 as D and 850 as E, but when using bootrec the 960 is moved to last place, as E.

When trying to use bootrec /rebuildbcd (because who knows...), it stops with an error (system not found or something of that nature. Haven't thought to write it down).

I tried disabling the other SATA controllers in case the other SSDs were causing some interference, but no dice, still the same error when the 960 is the only kid in town.

So basically the drive is there (obviously), the windows boot manager (on a hidden partition on the 960 drive) is found without issue since it's what giving out the 0xc00000bb error, but for some reason it can't seem to find the actual OS partition even though it's on the same drive...

• Proposed as answer by jethro_static Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jethro_static Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by jethro_static Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:38 PM
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:00 PM
  • I just updated from 1703 to 1709 on my Samsung 960 Evo and Asrock H270 Pro4 (Intel H270 chipset).
    But I used the USB stick created by media creation tool.
    So its not a general problem with Windows 10 and NVMe drives.

What is interesting is that all of the problematic systems seems to have either an Intel x99 or X299 chipset
    in this thread: MSI X99A, Asus Prime x299, ASUS TUF x299, Evga x99.

this does not work for all of us. I also tried upgrading using the USB Media creation tool and I was politely said by the tool that I need to upgrade using the normal upgrade way and that I could not use the usb tool to upgrade.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:38 PM
  • It seems the common thread for the FCU installation problems is a Samsung 960 Pro and an ASUS X299 Motherboard for most of us.  If anyone from Microsoft is reading this: please look into this situation, and put out a fix.  Thank you. 
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:02 PM
  • I found a workaround to avoid reinstalling windows. A little lengthy but works for me. I too have Samsung 960 with a gigabyte motherboard to deal with. Here is the steps I did to avoid reinstall because the customer does not want to start from scratch. He has a lot of programs installed.

1. Cloned NVMe SSD to regular HD

2. Removed NVMe, Boot to the HD. start the update. It will update fine.

3. Once it's updated, Put NVMe back, Clone HD back to NVMe

4. Boot to NVMe with updated windows 10 1709

You will still get 0xc000000bb error.

Now the workaround:

This first 2 steps is probably unnecessary but I did it first.

1. Boot to WIndows 10 installer, go to repair, troubleshoot, repair startup. after repair, It will still have the error

2. Boot to windows 10 installer again, Do a bootrec /rebuildbcd. Yes to C:\Windows no to C:\Windows.old

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Will still have the same error

Important:

after you get the error 0xc000000bb, On the bottom, You will have a few options (F8, F9 etc)

pick F8 for startup behavior. it will boot with options 1-9.

pick 5 for safemode with networking.

You will see that it will boot on safemode. Reboot.

It will now boot to normal Windows 1709.

Like I said, Steps 1 and 2 might not be necessary, You can try to boot to safemode right after the clone. Safemode I think sets the whole booting process in the right place. There might be a driver that is having a conflict on 1st boot after the upgrade. I don't really know for sure.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:28 PM
  • I just realized, Since booting to safemode did the trick for me, Maybe, Just booting to safemode after the update is done will bypass the 0xc00000bb error. I cannot test since I don't have the computer anymore.
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 3:36 PM
  • I was just wondering what driver everyone is using for the Samsung Pro 960 SSD.  I am using the Samsung NVMe driver.  Has anyone tried updating with the Windows driver ?  Would that make a difference when upgrading ?
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:19 PM
  • @sgbusy: that was already discussed further up in this thread: not everyone is using secnvme, the Samsung driver.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:34 PM
  • I don't plan on cloning or making faking RAID arrays, so I guess it's wait for Microsoft and/or Samsung to issue a patch. Hopefully it happens before the pause feature updates time runs out.  I raised a ticket with Samsung, but haven't heard back.
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 1:29 PM
  • It never runs out, you can just keep resetting it to a later date, or if the upgrade happens & fails again you just get a new set of pause dates.

Like you I would prefer to avoid getting into potentially catastrophic rebuild if I can just keep ignoring it and there is a chance that a grown-up will fix it (though there is no evidence of this that I'm aware of).  This presupposes that there is no downside to ignoring this upgrade.  Other Win10 patches seem to get installed despite this particular one being on pause.
    Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Had the same issue and had to turn off feature updates. On the weekend I tried upgrading from the microsoft download website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and it installed fine!

Only issue is updates are turned off so will have to edit registry to enable again.

System ASUS prime x299 deluxe with samsung 960 evo.

Monday, October 23, 2017 12:50 AM
  • Yes, i had this issue for a few days

i solved this problem error code 0xc00000bb

first you need to boot windows from usb flash drive 

then you click on next and click on repair your computer

and click on troubleshoot and click on command prompt

and type gpupdate and gpupdate /force

and close command prompt

and click on stratup repair and when its done click on shutdown 

plug out usb flash drive and try to boot your computer

• Proposed as answer by OTesss Monday, October 23, 2017 11:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by OTesss Monday, October 23, 2017 11:39 AM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 6:41 AM
  • Yes, i had this issue for a few days

i solved this problem error code 0xc00000bb

first you need to boot windows from usb flash drive 

then you click on next and click on repair your computer

and click on troubleshoot and click on command prompt

and type gpupdate and gpupdate /force

and close command prompt

and click on stratup repair and when its done click on shutdown 

plug out usb flash drive and try to boot your computer

how did you run this command? wrote, not the right team
    • Edited by OTesss Monday, October 23, 2017 11:40 AM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 11:40 AM
  • I have a MSI X99 motherboard with Samsung 960 Evo in m.2 slot setup as UEFI boot and GPT running Win 10 1703.

If I install FCU 1709 using Windows Update or Update Assistant at reboot I get 0xc00000bb.

If I install via the setup.exe on the downloaded 1709 .iso at reboot I get 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - Setup fails in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation.

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:32 PM
  • I've really tried everything. Deinstalled the NVME drivers fromSamsung etc.

Nothing dose work.... This is frustrating...

• Edited by isyyy Monday, October 23, 2017 9:37 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 9:37 PM
  • Can you please let us know if the issue repro's with Microsoft stornvme.sys driver as well? Please find it in the device manager for the NVMe controller and keep us posted. Thanks.
    Monday, October 23, 2017 9:58 PM
  • Can you please let us know if the issue repro's with Microsoft stornvme.sys driver as well? Please find it in the device manager for the NVMe controller and keep us posted. Thanks.

Does not help. only a clean installation works.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Have exactly the same issue with Asus rog x299 rampage vI extreme and 960 pro nvme through pch.

And i don't know if it link but after maybe 20 reboot and this error, motherboard began to say data are compromise (smart boot test maybe) and 4 reboot later the nvem drive simply died (was a new one just 20 days). Now it's undetectable on the x299 and on my nuc skull canyon....

• Edited by Fab1304 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Even updating the bios to a beta that MSI gently gave me, and updating Samsung NVMe driver to the 2.3 version (the very last one), the issue has not solution...
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Looks like the new Samsung driver is 2.3.0.1709 while the old was 2.2.0.1703.  Obviously the new driver is the FCU driver since it has the 1709 instead of the older 1703.  You mean to tell me it still does not work to update an X299 system with a Samsung SSD and SATA drive?  Has anyone else tested it ?
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:30 PM
  • Looks like the new Samsung driver is 2.3.0.1709 while the old was 2.2.0.1703.  Obviously the new driver is the FCU driver since it has the 1709 instead of the older 1703.  You mean to tell me it still does not work to update an X299 system with a Samsung SSD and SATA drive?  Has anyone else tested it ?

I've just tried the 2.3 Samsung driver, and it makes no difference.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:57 PM
  • @TheSpearman: Thanks for trying.  

So it is your move Microsoft.  No help from Samsung.  The update still does not work for X299 people with SSD and SATA drives. 

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:25 PM
  • BTW, I only had the X299 and 960, so it seems that it's just that combination
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:31 PM
  • Nope. I have Samsung 950 NVMe and ASUS G752 and this is the same frustating story .... 
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:42 AM
  • And in my case it's X299 and a Samsung 951.

It's not specific to the 960, just that they're a widespread model.

I've also tried with the SATA controllers entirely turned off, and it made no difference.

I've tried from mounted ISO image, USB key, Upgrade Assistant, no combination makes a difference.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:27 PM
  • It is looking more and more that people in our situation are only going to be able to upgrade if we do a clean install.  I am losing hope Microsoft will ever issue a fix.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Thanks for all the pointers from everyone. Can you share kernel .dmp that's generated during this upgrade? Please check for memory.dmp in c:\windows.

Please let us know the OEM Name, OEM Model, Chipset, Samsung NVMe drive model of the impacted system. 

Also it would be great if you can submit Windows User Feedback using the Feedback Hub application under category "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" with "Disks and Storage" sub category with this specific title "Samsung NVMe rollback - 0b8ffa31-b86a-4959-91f5-82b06dafe431" it would be very helpful. Once the feedback has been entered, others please upvote if this issue is relevant to you.

If there is no kernel .dmp available then if someone can repro with enabling setup under kernel debugger it would be useful.

Here are the general kernel debugger instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/setting-up-kernel-mode-debugging-in-windbg--cdb--or-ntsd

Here's how you can start the setup.exe from kernel debugger with serial and networking examples provided:

1. Serial Debugging:
      • To enable serial debugging on COM port 1 : setup.exe /debug:1 /baudrate:115200
    1. Network Debugging:
      • To enable network debugging: setup.exe /netdebug:hostip=<x.x.x.x>,port=<x>,key=<x.x.x.x> 

Once you hit the debugger with this issue, please generate the .dmp and share it with us. 

.dump /f samsungnvmekernel.dmp

Once you have the kernel .dmp please reply to the thread and/or share OneDrive or other cloud links for us to grab it.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:20 PM
  • Hi,
    I'm successfully running Windows 10 x64 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) installed on Samsung EVO 960 NVMe SSD disk. I'm using UEFI boot on my MSI Raider X99A motherboard. I made a clean install couple of months ago. No problems sofar.

Now I'm trying to upgrade to Creators Update (Version 1703) via Windows Update and I'm getting BSOD with error code 0xc00000bb ("A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed") at the beginning of the first reboot stage during update.

Any ideas?
    PetrP

Same problem for me (MSI X99 Motherboard and Intel PCIe NVme SSD (750)
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:39 PM
  • Wouldn't the correct category be Windows Installation, Update and Recovery?
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:59 PM
  • Just thought I'd add that I have this problem too. My boot drive is the Samsung 512GB NVMe SM951 (MZVPV512HDGL). I manually restarted to apply the update. The recovery screen appeared with error: 0xc00000bb.

I tried the update process with all of my drives unplugged, it doesn't want to apply and I'd rather reinstall and clear up my computer rather than fix the problem. I haven't had this problem with previous updates.

Windows Update isn't downloading or applying the update any more, Was it revoked or something? I think after a number of attempts it's corrupted Office 365 too.

My motherboard is the MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM for the record

I don't know about anyone else's M.2 drive but mine is supposed to be classed as an OEM product so firmware updates aren't readily available.

• Edited by KBX642 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Same issue for me.

Asus X299 Prime Deluxe & Samsung 960 EVO.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:30 PM
  • Just to chime in as well.  Asus Prime X299 Deluxe and Samsung NVMe 960 EVO.

Douglas McLaughlin

Thursday, October 26, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for all the pointers from everyone. Can you share kernel .dmp that's generated during this upgrade? Please check for memory.dmp in c:\windows.

Please let us know the OEM Name, OEM Model, Chipset, Samsung NVMe drive model of the impacted system. 

Also it would be great if you can submit Windows User Feedback using the Feedback Hub application under category "Files, Folders, and Online Storage" with "Disks and Storage" sub category with this specific title "Samsung NVMe rollback - 0b8ffa31-b86a-4959-91f5-82b06dafe431" it would be very helpful. Once the feedback has been entered, others please upvote if this issue is relevant to you.

If there is no kernel .dmp available then if someone can repro with enabling setup under kernel debugger it would be useful.

Here are the general kernel debugger instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/setting-up-kernel-mode-debugging-in-windbg--cdb--or-ntsd

Here's how you can start the setup.exe from kernel debugger with serial and networking examples provided:

1. Serial Debugging:
      • To enable serial debugging on COM port 1 : setup.exe /debug:1 /baudrate:115200
    1. Network Debugging:
      • To enable network debugging: setup.exe /netdebug:hostip=<x.x.x.x>,port=<x>,key=<x.x.x.x> 

Once you hit the debugger with this issue, please generate the .dmp and share it with us. 

.dump /f samsungnvmekernel.dmp

Once you have the kernel .dmp please reply to the thread and/or share OneDrive or other cloud links for us to grab it.

Thanks.

Unfortunately this blue screen does not generate a dump file. A the process to generate a debug setup is mostly too complicated to many around here and most of us does not have a setup to either run a serial debug or network debug. Heck i'm a computer tech / analyst and I don't have anything setup to do so. I just want to put my 2 cents in. I also have a Asus X299 deluxe and a samsung 960 pro NVME.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:42 AM
  • Just curious. Did anybody try what worked for me?
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Just curious. Did anybody try what worked for me?

I'd say pretty much everyone did, since the FCU isn't out on general release on Windows Update.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:21 PM
  • I've emailed Microsoft, Samsung and ASUS.  All 3 of them have given me the same BS suggestions and have told me "Level 2 Developers" are looking into it.  I really hope this gets resolved soon, I cannot do a fresh install on my PC.  I have far to many applications installed and customized and I'm not starting from scratch.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:23 PM
  • same problem here ,

asus x299 deluxe 

Intel 7820x 

1TB NVME 960 evo.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Well at least CNET finally has an article on our problem:

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-fall-creators-update-hits-install-snag-for-some/

• Edited by sgbusy Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:17 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:10 PM
  • That is great news.  At least the article mentioned that MS had acknowledged it.
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:31 PM
  • same isse:

X299 NVME Samsung 960pro x2

Microsoft we need a solution

Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Just did a chat with Microsoft.  They basically said they know about the upgrade problems with the NVMe Samsung SSD issue.  She said the engineers are working on the problem, and should have a fix soon on their support site.  She did not have a timetable or know if it will be a fix issued from cumulative updates through windows update or a separate fix, but she said they are working on it, and a fix will be issued soon.  Let's hope this is true. 
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:17 PM