Hide Offline contacts? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there a way to hide contacts that are offline in communicator?
    Friday, February 29, 2008 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try the option "Set contacts by availability" in the "View" menu.

All offline contacts will be "hidden" by moving to a specific group of contacts named "Unavailable".

Regards,

Jean-Philippe

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 11:35 AM
  • The problem with the "sort contacts by availability" option is that the "away" ones also drop to a new category.  Does anyone know a way around this?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:16 AM
  • I'd like to second that request, without the hide offline contacts feature the buddy list gets way too long, "away" contacts dropping into a new category is confusing.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:11 AM
  • Quad Ditto on this request to hide offline contacts with out changeing sort options.  Corporate users (such as myself) can have huge contact lists.

Thanks Smile

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:24 PM
  • I acknowledge that sorting by availability can be useful, but I would like a "Hide offline contacts" option as well.  All we can do is keep adding more replies to this thread and hope a techie takes notice.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:55 PM
  • I bounced this off the MVP discussion list, we'll see if I get any bites from the OCS development team.  I'd also like to see an option to control the way that Away status contacts are sorted, independantly from the current 'Sort By Availability' options.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:46 PM
  • i'm searching also for a option to hide the offline contacts without changing the sort option. i hope that this feature comes in the future.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:32 AM
  • But on the other hand the buddy list should be limited to the folks you contact very frequently. Besides the performance impact huge buddy lists has on the server it's also easier for yourselves to keep track of the people you are close with.

You can engage with your buddies though the Outlook/Sharepoint integration or by finding them in your Communicator Global Address Book so why do they need to be fixed in your buddy list?

Just my 2c.

Sincerely,

Tonino Bruno

Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:55 PM
  • The amount of contacts doens't really have anything to do with, you could have only 5 contacts and if 4 of them are offline or away then the sorting can still be an issue.

I haven't received any response regarding this so we'll see if it's already a feature add in a future client or not even on the table.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Hi, is there any update regarding this? We have over 100 people in our groups and having the abillity to hide the offline contacts would be a great feature.

KR,
    Tom de Koning

Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:26 PM
  • I haven't heard anything about this changing.  The MVP's just received access to some R2 code so I plan on testing out the new features of the client and I'll report back if there are any different display options regarding this.

Monday, November 24, 2008 2:28 PM
  • I would like to revive this issue.

I realize the advantages to keeping the list smaller but in a company of just over 10,000, limiting the list to the 160 or so contacts from my workgroup that I need in my list *is* keeping my list short :)

I have them sorted by what sub group they are in so I can quickly locate someone who is online working in that specific sub group when I have question I need answered quickly by someone in that group.

Having this list clutted by those who are offline is very annoying. Sorting by status destroys the grouping because all the away people go into their own group defeating the purpose of groups...

The option of "Group Offline Contacts" should never have been removed IMHO. Please bring back that option or maybe have the offline people in each group listed under an expandable title so they can be hidden/expanded just like their parent group.

Also, an option like "Do not include offline contacts when messaging a group" would be nice! :)

Friday, March 6, 2009 3:44 PM
  • I desperately need this feature as well. Any update?

Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:41 PM
  • It has been over a month sind the last posting.  Does anyone have new information?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:10 PM
  • I would also like to hide unavailable contacts. It seems an obvious feature to provide.

Friday, August 7, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Also looking for this feature. Grouping by availability is nice, but not useful when you have users organized by your own custom groups. I do not care if users are offline, i only care about the status of users that are online.

Hope the Dev's take notice, I would consider this a pretty widely sought after function in my company.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 10:36 PM
  • numinstance +1
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:50 PM
  • To add my voice to this thread... 'Groups' in Communicator don't seem to honor the 'Sort Contacts By Availability' feature... or the ability to not show 'Offline' contacts would be great.  This isn't very managable currently.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 7:45 PM
  • No official update so I guess this request has gone begging? Has anyone on the Wave 14 early adopters programme has chance to confirm if this functionallity is present?
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:10 PM
  • This is ridiculous.  This request was made over 2 years ago and the same feature is available in every other IM program I have used.  Sorting by availability is not a valid workaround because then your contacts are no longer sorted by groups.  I agree with an earlier poster that in a very large company of 140,000 employees it is unreasonable that I be asked to keep my contact list smaller than 50 users (the number that can be displayed without scrolling on a 1080p screen without scrolling) to be able to see the 10 users that are currently online.  The ability to filter both away and offline users would be very useful as I would be able to have at least double the people on my list than I have now.  Also, does anyone know if there is a way to hide the call buttons next to the contacts?  Our company does not have communicator integrated with any voice systems, so it is stupid to have the buttons there if it is not even set up.  Also, the ability to call someone with just one click without any sort of confirmation is also very annoying as you can accidentally call someone very easily.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:11 PM
  • We have been working with Lync 2010 for quite a while, and have RC up now and I do not see this option.

I see this as a nice to have but not sure why it is so critical. Offline is a valid status, and something people want to know who is offline.  

Keep giving the feedback and maybe it can be in by RTM.

Thom Foreman, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    Monday, September 13, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Just installed Microsoft Lync 2010 - this is an obvious failure and what would obviously be a quick fix that exists in all other IM clients (as has been said before).

Still no movement?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Don't shoot the messenger:  

October 2012 Update - The release of Lync 2013 does not include this feature.

June 2012 update - I see folks continuing to reply to this thread requesting this be changed. At this point I have taken the appropriate actions which look to have failed in achieving the desired result. No further replies to this thread will help, instead your corporation would need to work with your premier account team and provide the feedback.

Because there is nothing further that can be done via this thread, I will stop replying and updating this post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update to confirm that the Lync client team is aware of this and it is currently part of the W15 planning. While we take all feature feedback into consideration there are multiple add/cut phases before we RTM so there is no promise implied.

Aug 1 update - I have created a Design Change Request for Lync 2010. The more customer names with actual impacted user counts helps.  (kudos to Paul w/ Lexel for his email)

Aug 18 update - This is still part of W15 and we are monitoring to ensure it isn't cut as well there is an increased dialog around the Aug1 DCR. I am continuing to fight for it but if any premier customer catches this thread and raises it through their account manager this will greatly help.

I am going keep the information below as this helps us to have a productive dialog with the feature owners. IT_Guy_Wilbur did a good job with the competitive product data, the only other thing that would be helpful is the workaround information. Keep in mind when we say workaround we are asking if any of the other options, methods or possibly 3rd party tool experiences have been tried. For example, he mentioned a company of 75 users in which I would ask about using Distribution Groups and email integration. We don't ask this saying it is the solution but ask because it is part of how we feel the client can also be used. 

While I don't own this experience, if you can provide the following details I can share with the appropriate team. Also for any that are part of a company that participates in our TAP (beta) programs, that is the best place to feed the input. 

Which version of Communicator was this available in?

Was that experience ideal?

Is there an experience with another product to consider?

Other details you feel are valuable to consider or understand

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager UC Customer and Partner Deployment Readiness

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:58 PM
  • I have used Office Communicator 2007 & 2007 R2 for a while now and I'm used to group contacts in my own "categories" system. It was great to have the option of "grouping offline contacts".

I installed Lync 2010 and this feature is not available anymore. :(

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Add my voice to the request list.  Would love to have OFFLINE contacts not even show up on the screen, or automatically be moved to a COLLAPSED "Offline Contacts" group at the BOTTOM of the list.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Same here....grouping offline contacts in a already collapsed offline contacts group is what we want. Lync is a great software, please make it the best!  :-)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Small company - about 75 employees total. 

Not being able to hide offline contacts is a huge irritant.  Just migrated from  IceWarp email server with it's embedded Instant Message system, to Exchange / Lync platform. 

Previous version (Merak Icewarp) allowed me to build a corporate roster that showed every person, in their organizational unit.  IM client (PSI) allowed you to hide/show offline contacts easily, or color code them.  Lync is EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT in it's use of desktop space - lots of blank space in the IM list, Group titles take up far too much space, etc.  Employees with a 1024 screen hieght could previously show every employee in the company in their contact list with group headings, and tool bars, and never have to scroll up and down to find someone.

Lync NEEDS the ability to hide off-line contacts - this is IM functionality 101, not an advanced topic.

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Hii

Is there going to come any updates from Microsoft team in handling this issue?

Regards

Kent

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:32 AM
  • I provided it above being a known issue and being investigated as part of Wave15 (next version) planning, which I understand is not the desired response. While it is unlikely to be included as a change in a Lync CU, if you email me direct I will take your information to create a Design Change Request  toml at microsoft dot com

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager UC Customer and Partner Deployment Readiness
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Guys,

We're talking about a simple feature that has taken years to implement.  What kind of joke operation are you guys running over there?  You're supposed to take the feedback of your users and implement changes that they would like to see.

That being said, obviously you can't always make the changes customers want to see - it depends on volume and timing.  I think the volume is here, and the timing is rediculous.  This is a common featuer in a chat application, you guys shouldn't need to arrange rocket scientist programmers to complete such a change.

Call it Wave15, Wave7zillion, whatever, get it done already.

Just another Microsoft failure.

-Kevan

Friday, August 12, 2011 3:08 PM
  • I second the need to hide offline users. It should already be there.......not Wave 15.

BTW I sure hope Wave 15 integrates the group chat functionallity into the Lync clients for Mac and Windows and Web.

Tim
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:22 PM
  • I agree, I already group my contacts based on categories and I like it that way, now the offline contacts in those groups forces my groups to be very long when there's no need.  The old communicator at least put the offline ones temporarily into another group for you.

If they're offline, I don't care what group they're in.  I don't want to see them.  Only the ones online in the groups I've setup for everybody.  And I don't want to have to scroll down 50 offline users to my next group.

• Proposed as answer by Marc 26 Monday, December 16, 2013 12:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marc 26 Monday, December 16, 2013 12:04 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:37 PM
  • I'd love that feature.

I've been using quite a number of im clients, including icq, trillian, pidgin, gtalk, miranda, lotus sametime, etc, all of them had this option.

I love the outlook integration of Lync, the calendar data, the outlook profiles available in Lync, almost everything. Also I love how I can add exchange group aliases, and all members are immediately put into a new group. But in status view, which would be the closest thing to hiding offline contacts, these groups (~100 of my contacts) are just not there.

Please don't wait for waves, feature drops, release candidates, just add hiding of offline users.
    Pretty pretty please with sugar on top.

And once you're at it, make it toggle-able group by group as miranda im does.
    Or render the buddy list with html/css, and we'll do the rest and create skins, and customer satisfaction.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:37 PM
  •  

Your welcome to vote on this feature here:
    http://lync.ideascale.com/a/dtd/lync-client-setting-to-hide-offline-contacts/56591-16285

This is a community based Lync suggestion list. Microsoft is not guaranteed to act on this items.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Wow... more than 4 years and Microsoft hasn't provided "Hide Offline Contacts"!!!  Why?  Feeble?  Disinterested?  Like to annoy customers?
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Agreed!  This is a huge irritant to not have this ability. In addition to the fact that every other other major player in this space has this feature, it was a feature regression from MS Office Communicator.

Not having this feature is a huge inconvenience, and directly impacts my productivity as we use IM heavily in our environment.

Tom: as far as workarounds go -- there are none at this point. Realistically, we are left with using the "Online" group, which then removes the "Groups" by definition, or having to type the name of the contact in the Search box. The final workaround is to simply use a different product (e.g. AOL IM, Yahoo, or Trillian to bridge their IM of choice.) I know some in the office here have opted to do that because it is easier than waiting for the feature.

Thanks for keeping this high on the dev team's priority list!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:11 PM
  • OMG c'mon MSFT. Fix this!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:20 PM
  • This really needs to be resolved.  The terrible thing is on my Macbook OSX Version there is a hide offline contacts option but I use a PC  90% of the time because of OneNote and cannot hide offline contacts. 

Please fix this. 

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Seriously MS, FIX IT!!
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:31 AM
  • Seriously!! Follow the example of the Exchange team when it comes to processing customer feedback and implementing stuff like this in service packs and rollups not the next version 2 years down the road!! Oh and communicating with customers too!!

Tim

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:48 AM
  • If you are an enterprise customer with Premier support, escalate through those channels so that it MAY be addressed. That's the best place to raise feature requests. Posting a feature request here isn't as helpful.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Has there been any update on this? I really need this setting as otherwise, it is almost unusable...
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:08 PM
  • No. And the 2013 Preview client doesn't have this feature as well.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:09 PM
  • How does this make the client nearly unusable?

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Simply because it takes too long to find a person that is on-line and available if you have over 200 people in multiple groups.

Office Communicator had this funcitonality and it was superb.  Not that we have migrated to Lync we have gone backwards by about 8 years to the 1st verison of AOL IM.  Quite simply nuts - doesn't anyone at MS really understand how corporates use Lync.  After 5 days I started emailing people as its quicker - nuts

Wake up MS - facebook is easier than your productivitiy tools

Monday, September 3, 2012 11:59 AM
  • As of today Microsoft Lync 2013 now allows you to hide Offline contacts. See more details and get the update here:

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2013/02/microsoft-lync-2013-client-gets.html

http://lync.ideascale.com/a/dtd/lync-client-setting-to-hide-offline-contacts/56591-16285

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

• Proposed as answer by Matt LandisMVP Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:33 AM
  • This is great and everything but really... first question posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 8:04 PM

It takes 5 years to implement a checkbox / menu option that triggers some IF's around the code.

I know this thread is not accurate representation of how MSFT works internally but let me just say.. this is insane. I can't believe this wasn't marked as "easyfix" and given to some intern to spend a few hours implementing.

I hope this request made it to the top of the lessons learned presentation someone should be working on :)

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:52 PM
  • This is still not the best option.  I don't want to move my away contacts.  I ONLY want to hide OFFLINE users.  People are away but still in my building and I want to easily find them in their group and message them for a later response.  I don't see how a simple feature that is in ALL instant messengers fails to be added into Lync.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Agree. It´s stupid to hide people that are away from their PC from the contact list. Only the ones that are NOT ON LYNC NOW should be hidden.
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Ah, and also hide groups that are empty because all of the members are offline.
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:10 PM