SharePoint Page syncs up with Excel Spreadsheet RRS feed

• Question

• I'm barely a SharePoint user by the way but ... is it possible to link a sharePoint page to an excel doc [stored within SP] such that the SP page will be automatically synced with the excel document [as the Excel spreadsheet gets updated]?

What are the steps to accomplish this?

The user wants to be able to perform simple math functions, like "Hours of Training" multiplied by "Class Size" which I don't know if a List Page or Web Part can accomplish this.  To explain another way;  The user will update an Excel spreadsheet and would like a SharePoint page to display as something like a List Table, not as an Excel spreadsheet.  So, we will have two files; the excel in a document library and another synced or linked up to the Excel file as it gets updated.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 23, 2011 2:45 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hi AlohaHands,

Yes it's doable - what you are saying looks like you will use Excel Web Access Webpart. For that you will need the SharePoint Enterprise license though (cost involved - unless you already have that). Once you have that in place - you can turn on the 'Office SharePoint Server enterprise Site collection Features' to access that webpart.

Check this link for details.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:23 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

This can easily be done with excel web access and excel calculation services.

However as per your specified requirement you can use normal normal sharepoint lists to fullfill your requirements.

You can create a calculated column in your list and you can accomplish this.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:25 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi AlohaHands,

Yes it's doable - what you are saying looks like you will use Excel Web Access Webpart. For that you will need the SharePoint Enterprise license though (cost involved - unless you already have that). Once you have that in place - you can turn on the 'Office SharePoint Server enterprise Site collection Features' to access that webpart.

Check this link for details.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:23 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

This can easily be done with excel web access and excel calculation services.

However as per your specified requirement you can use normal normal sharepoint lists to fullfill your requirements.

You can create a calculated column in your list and you can accomplish this.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:25 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:51 PM