How to open applications from one Server 2012 r2 on another Server with RDS Web RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am trying to open an application install on one server from another server. Both servers are 2012 r2 instances. When I try to open an application in RDS Web that is hosted on another server I get the error:

You must specify a file from the RD Session Host server "server_name" by using the UNC path; for example "UNC_Path\filename". if the problem persists, ensure that the following Windows Firewall exceptions are enabled:

1. File and Printer Sharing (SMB-Out).

2. File and Printer Shareing (SMB-In).

Firewall is off of server.  It seems to only search for files on the RDS Web server only. I tried using a batch file which seems to work but now I can not add icons to it and it gives the Windows error of an unknown program. 

Is there a better way to do this? I can launch any program from the server when navigating to its path.

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:03 PM

Answers

• Understood. I also found a work around by using a batch file that points to an external application. 

Bat file: start /d "\\Server_Name\Shared_Path" ApplicationName.exe

Then you may need a icon for the batch file. Follow this article and it works.

Get-RDRemoteApp -alias "notepad" | fl
    Get-RDRemoteApp -Alias "notepad" | Set-RDRemoteApp -IconPath "c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll" -IconIndex 46

OR

Set-RDRemoteApp -CollectionName "RemoteApps" -Alias "notepad" -IconPath "c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll" -IconIndex 46

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:03 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to open an application install on one server from another server. Both servers are 2012 r2 instances. When I try to open an application in RDS Web that is hosted on another server I get the error:

Based on my understanding, you are trying to open a RemoteApp program through RD Web Access, is that correct?

If yes, please note that RemoteApp programs need to be installed on every RD Session Host under the exact same path, since RD Web Access plugin would try to distribute RemoteApp sessions to each RD Session Host in a load balancing manner.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 9, 2015 7:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 9, 2015 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a quick note to let you know that we are performing research on this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, you are trying to open a RemoteApp program through RD Web Access, is that correct?

If yes, please note that RemoteApp programs need to be installed on every RD Session Host under the exact same path, since RD Web Access plugin would try to distribute RemoteApp sessions to each RD Session Host in a load balancing manner.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 9, 2015 7:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 9, 2015 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:46 AM
  • Understood. I also found a work around by using a batch file that points to an external application. 

Bat file: start /d "\\Server_Name\Shared_Path" ApplicationName.exe

Then you may need a icon for the batch file. Follow this article and it works.

Get-RDRemoteApp -alias "notepad" | fl
    Get-RDRemoteApp -Alias "notepad" | Set-RDRemoteApp -IconPath "c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll" -IconIndex 46

OR

Set-RDRemoteApp -CollectionName "RemoteApps" -Alias "notepad" -IconPath "c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll" -IconIndex 46

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:03 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 3:45 PM