none
DPM 2010 backing up full PSTs everyday RRS feed

• Question

• I have dpm server that has a client group with many computers protected. Some clients were transfers many GBs a day so I looked into it, and the Outlook PST files are copying in FULL every time DPM sync. I thought DPM was supposed to do block level changes only. I searched on line and found a few other people saying the same thing that DPM was copying full PSTs every day. Does anyone know what the deal is?

Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:28 PM

Answers

• Ok tracked down the problem, the PST file was EFSed so it seems like EFS files get moved in full and the "change blocks" doesn’t work. I never saw that in any documentation so maybe it needs to be noted. I tested a few different PST that were EFS encrypted and some that weren't, and those that were EFSed copied in full every time, and those that were not EFSed only copied very small bits.

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

• anyone know what could be wrong?

• Proposed as answer by vrmurthy[MSFT] Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:44 PM
  • hi Christian

This is a tested scenario & in our tests we have never seen the files being copied in entirity. DPM does only backup changed blocks. To rule out, i have just now tried the same operation & i see no functional flaw (IR transfered 3 GB of ost/pst files, i did some mailing operations & triggered another sync which transfered 10 MB). I suspect some other changing files are causing the issue. Did u try just backing up the folder containing ost/pst files & see if this is happening.

best regards,

vrmurthy[MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights or warranties 

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by vrmurthy[MSFT] Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:28 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Ok tracked down the problem, the PST file was EFSed so it seems like EFS files get moved in full and the "change blocks" doesn’t work. I never saw that in any documentation so maybe it needs to be noted. I tested a few different PST that were EFS encrypted and some that weren't, and those that were EFSed copied in full every time, and those that were not EFSed only copied very small bits.

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:30 PM