none
PWA et workspaces in one or two site collections ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are looking to deploy Project Server 2007 on an existing MOSS 2007 deployment.

The question we have is :

should we have one site collection (in the “Planning and architecture for

Office Project Server 2007” Microsoft’s document is written:

we recommend that project workspace sites be created as children of the Office Project Web Access site. Sites created within the same site collection (that is, under the Office Project Web Access site) share the same Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 content database and can benefit from the cross-site aggregation features of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.”

Or 2 site collections (in the “EPM and Office SharePoint Server 2007 Coexistence - Intranet Scenario” by Microsoft is written:

The recommended approach for the EPM focused Office SharePoint Server Intranet Farm is to create separate site collections and content databases for the PWA Web application and Project Workspaces. ... The separate site collections for Project Workspaces and PWA deliver the following benefits:

Easier and faster selective backup & restore

Easier and faster Project Workspace data refresh

Independently manage each site collection content database for backup, recovery, and migration

·         More flexible ongoing maintenance and support

”)

Thank you !

We have like max. 250 small projects

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:05 PM

Answers

• I would actually disagree with the recommendation.  We have shifted towards the following:

• PWA site is created in a Content Database
    • The PWA Content DB is set to not allow any more site collections
    • We create a new site collection in a different content DB.  This site is then used for any SharePoint content and also to host all the Project Workspaces
    • The PWA site is not used for any SharePoint customization
    • Some of our customers also host their Project Workspaces in their main SharePoint user facing site collection (for example their main portal site).  However, this somewhat limits your options when moving content between farms as you have to deal with one large site collection (and possibly one large content DB), as opposed to multiple site collections or content DBs
    Our main reason for this was to simplify backup and restore procedures.  You can only restore the entire PWA site intact (including all SharePoint content) using the SharePoint farm backup\restore engine, which I have found a little bit lacking (not very robust, no built in scheduling or notification engine, etc).  If you host all your SharePoint content for Project Server in site colleciton different than your PWA site then you can rely on SQL database backups to rebuild the environment.

Note, this is all only really relevant to Project Server 2007 - the backup and restore story has improved considerably in 2010.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:27 AM

All replies

• I agree with the recommendation.  One site collection for MOSS sites and one collection for PWA sites.  The basic reason is that the site collections are security boundaries.

To take this a step further, I am seeing companies put the MOSS and PWA in seperate farms.  The reason is that MOSS is often getting patches and solutions and they do not want to impact PWA.  And the logic is vice versa, but it really depends on many factors.   I think the key is the number of users that would be in each farm.  The negative side of this picture is that you admins are required to support two farms instead of one and if you have QA or TEST farm, you just doubled the size again.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, November 26, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Hello

Thank you for your answer.

In that case we are going to loose the " cross-site aggregation features of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0"

Do you know what exactly are those features and how to substitute them (I saw that there is a search scope and feature set...)

Thank you !

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Project Server is just a feature of MOSS.  If you split the farm, the MOSS farm just will not have the Project feature.  Other than that, Project Server will have all the same features of MOSS with the exception of any feature that is disabled.

cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, November 29, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I would actually disagree with the recommendation.  We have shifted towards the following:

• PWA site is created in a Content Database
    • The PWA Content DB is set to not allow any more site collections
    • We create a new site collection in a different content DB.  This site is then used for any SharePoint content and also to host all the Project Workspaces
    • The PWA site is not used for any SharePoint customization
    • Some of our customers also host their Project Workspaces in their main SharePoint user facing site collection (for example their main portal site).  However, this somewhat limits your options when moving content between farms as you have to deal with one large site collection (and possibly one large content DB), as opposed to multiple site collections or content DBs
    Our main reason for this was to simplify backup and restore procedures.  You can only restore the entire PWA site intact (including all SharePoint content) using the SharePoint farm backup\restore engine, which I have found a little bit lacking (not very robust, no built in scheduling or notification engine, etc).  If you host all your SharePoint content for Project Server in site colleciton different than your PWA site then you can rely on SQL database backups to rebuild the environment.

Note, this is all only really relevant to Project Server 2007 - the backup and restore story has improved considerably in 2010.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:27 AM