Selection Profiles & Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MDT 2013 Update 1 with W10 ADK.

I have two Task sequences 1 for Windows 7 and the other for Windows 10

I have two driver root folders in MDT. Note the root\x64 is for windows 7

Driver Root:x64 

Driver Root: Windows10\x64

Then under each root folder there is a sub-folder each model and the applicable drivers.

example: x64\Dell Precision M3800 and windows10\x64\Dell Precision M3800

I have setup selection profile for the each model...  Then created a deployment task sequence to set the driver variable and point it to the appropriate driver Root folder based on the OS (W7 or W10 task sequence).

My questions:

1) Is it necessary to set the selection profile to map the model to the driver folder, since I use a deployment task sequence to set the variable and path for the drivers? 

2) If it is necessary to map your selection profile to your driver folder how do I accommodate for two sets of drivers that are the same model? From testing it appears both the selection profile and the drivers folder have to match the Model name of the pc. Or is selection profile mappings not needed if the deployment task sequence points to the correct root driver folder (windows10\x64\%model% for W10)?

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• This will answer your question - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by ntschultz Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:19 PM
  • I have the book Stealing with Pride Volume 1. good book, but that page would have been nice to have been included in the book, or maybe I missed it.

It seems that the selection profile creation portion is not required

Now on to see if I can do something similar for apply patches c:\patches\dell\%model%\*.msu??
    • Edited by ntschultz Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:38 PM added a note about patches
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:37 PM