No Sound / IBM M50 Soundmax integrated Audio RRS feed

• Question

• I cant't get any sound out of my IBM Thinkcentre M50 with Windows 7. Windows Update has downloaded the driver Version 5.12.1.5260. "The device is working" - says the device manager. But ist does not. But this driver works perfect with VISTA on the same System.

Any ideas to solve the problem?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• I was finally able to get a driver that works for my audio on my M50. I downloaded the following
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/so/5%5B1%5D.12.1.3713_ADI_SM4_SF.exe
    Extracted the file to a location where you would prefer. When running the executable I received an error but simply went into the device manger and manually installed the driver. After rebooting the audio is working. If anyone finds a better driver please post.

• Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:46 PM

All replies

• Having the exact same problem with my p4p800 deluxe motherboard from asus Windows 7 picks up the 5.12.1.5410 soundmax driver tho
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:09 AM
  • I allso have a soundmax integrated audio card. It worked with the default drivers provided by win 7 but none of the advanced function worked no surround no nothing. However i managed to solve this problem by installinig the latest vista drivers and software for it available on the ASUS website, and now it works exactly as it should.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Judging from the complaints about sound problems with Windows 7, I'd say we are back to the same hardware problems that plagued Vista. Nice to know early on, so purchasing the OS can be delayed until these problems are truly ironed out.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:44 PM
  • I was finally able to get a driver that works for my audio on my M50. I downloaded the following
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/so/5%5B1%5D.12.1.3713_ADI_SM4_SF.exe
    Extracted the file to a location where you would prefer. When running the executable I received an error but simply went into the device manger and manually installed the driver. After rebooting the audio is working. If anyone finds a better driver please post.

• Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:46 PM
  • I downloaded the file, but when i went to update my driver manually, it said that the best driver was already installed.  I have a Dell 8400 Dimension P4 3MB ram SoundMax Integrated Audio card.  It's integrated on the motherboard.

At one point, it also said that the operating system was not compatible with this software.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for the link.  I tried running in Vista compatibility mode but it told me those drivers where not for this version of Windows.  Ran again in XP mode and it installed but then gave an error of "Driver not found. Try rebooting..."  I did the reboot and still the same error.  I tried right clicking on the "Multimedia Audio Controler" in the device manager but it would not install the drivers from the directory where I extracted them to.  Thanks for the help so far.  If you have another idea I'd love to hear it.

Stephen
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Okay forget my last post.  I got the driver working.  When you said manually I took the wrong steps.  For those having the same problem here is what I did:

1) Once finished installing SoundMAX drivers downloaded from above link (in XP mode) and getting error, Open the device manager.
    2) Right click on sound card and click on "Update this driver software"
    3) Click "Browse my computer"
    4) Instead of browseing to the directory click on the link below that says "Let me pick..."
    5) Click on "Have Disk" and browse to where you unziped the files and in \SMAXWDM\W2K_XP" is where the inf file is.
    6) Follow the prompts from there.  After a reboot my sound worked.

I have two sound cards in my system.  The addon is a Soundblaster which worked out of the box.  I need two for some of my Ham radio applications and thats why I wanted both working if possible.  So one is connected to my speakers and the other to my Ham radio.  One thing I noticed is that the SoundMAX (connected to my radio) outputs to both the radio and the speakers.  The speakers are connected to the Soundblaster card.  Its not a big deal but just noticed that.

Thanks agian everyone for your help.  Hope these steps help others.

Stephen
    VE6CPU
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:27 AM
  • I got my P4P800-VM Soundmax working with the ASUS XP download 5.12.1.3538
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Okay - I followed the very clear steps posted by Stephen, but this did not work for me. At step 5) it would not find an .inf file(even though I was at the root of the unzipped files) - so I cancelled out.

By the way the ftp download cited earlier expanded to 30mb, which seemed big to me.

I then read the ReadMe > Installation or Update of Analog Devices SoundMAX 4.0,  that accompanied the ftp download. It instructed very clearly to: 1) Remove first any previously installed driver using System Tasks > Add/Remove programs. Reboot. Then Install by  Start -> Run > X:\path\setup.

At the end of running setup.exe, I get a dialogue: 'Severe - Driver not found - Reboot your system & Re-install.' I rebooted - tried again - and received the same error.

If anyone has an idea how I can proceed from here, it would be great to hear from you. (I'm a newbie to this forum so any pointers would be great).

Thanks - Fred

Monday, March 23, 2009 7:45 PM
  • You need to enable AC97 in the BIOS. "Driver not found" really means HW not found, as by default it is disabled in the BIOS.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 6:34 AM