Strange Network Authentication Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Three systems I'll be referring to:

1. The server - A Windows Small Business 2003 Server running all the available SBS service and Symantec Antivirus.

2. My desktop - Running WinXP SP3

3. My laptop - Also running WinXP SP3

All three systems are on the same domain for which the Server is the Domain controller; my user profile has full admin right.

Up until Monday morning I could access my network drives without a problem no changes were made to the server or the desktop and then suddenly I got "V:\ is not accessible. Access is denied. When I try to access it directly "\\[Server]\[folder]" I get:

"\\[path] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources. Contact the administrator of this server tofind out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

As I said I was able to access this folder before and when I did some testing I realized any folder that explicity requires not admin but my user's rights it fails but folders accessible to anyone still work. I tried logging in on the machine as the administrator and I was able to access the drives and tried logging onto my laptop as myself and can also access the drives. I tried rebooting and restarting various network services but nothing.

I have seen nothing in the error logs that seems to correspond and to make matters even more confusing Wednesday (yesterday) after a few attempts it just started working but today again the problem exists.

Can anyone help? I'd like to be able to test and see what credentials the server is seeing when I try to access from this desktop.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• Maybe you need to restart the server itself.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:14 PM