none
Scheduled Tape Inventory Does Not Load non- bar coded Tapes RRS feed

• Question

• The scheduled maintenance job Tape Inventory does not  actually load the tapes if they are not bar coded. It does a quick inventory which is useless with non-barcoded tapes.

This was identified as a bug in DPM2007 and was supposed to be fixed in DPM 2010.

I have tested this in DPM 2010 and I think it is still broken.

Thoughts?

TRL
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Monday, March 28, 2011 6:04 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, March 28, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried disabling the barcode reader in the library to see if that effects how DPM does DI ? 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The fast inventory does not load media even if no barcode is present, this is by design. The intent of the fast inventory is just to refresh library slot information based on tape barcodes. It's best to add barcode to all media if the library has a barcode reader.  If you add tapes with no barcodes and need them identified quickly, you can simply hold the ctrl key and select the media in question, then click on the "idenfity unknown tape" option on the action pane and that will kick off a detailed inventory for just those tapes. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 11:02 PM
  • This is not what Msft advised me previously. Here is what you told me re: this issue on 2007.

This is an issue which we have fixed in DPM 2010. 
    The problem was that the scheduled inventory was not doing detailed 
    inventory on newly added media. 

Can you install DPM 2010 Beta from 
    https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=840&DownloadID=22070 
    and see if it fixes the issue. 
    -- 
    Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM 
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights 

TRL
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Also - We are not talking about the fast inventory. we are talking about the scheduled maintenance job which does an inventory. The job log for future events indicates that it is going to do a detailed inventory, 

It does not.

TRL
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:25 PM
  • let me ping the product group to make sure.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Can you please supply more details about your experience with daily scheduled inventories.

Is the morning 9am FI not detecting non-barcoded media?
    Or
    FI is detecting it, but the next day’s DI is not reading the tape?

The following information should help explain what may be occuring.

1.       New non barcoded tape is adding on Day1 (post 9am)
    2.       FI on Day2 detects it, however the DI might not detect it because it is running in parallel to FI. DPMDB got just updated while DI is running
    3.       DI on Day3 should detect it and read the tape OMID

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:31 PM
  • We have an 8 slot library. A new out of the box DPM 2010 has 9 scheduled jobs for 9 am. 8 are DI and 1 is FI. They all run and finish in 1 or 2 seconds. All tapes in the library are NOT bar coded. They are changed daily at 8 am and the changes are NOT detected by the scheduled job at 9 am. A manual DI detects the tapes.

Waiting 2-3 days is not an option when you changes tapes daily. 

This was the case in 2007 as well. 

This is issue is very frustrating for us and MSFT does not seem to acknowledge that it broken. Scheduled DI does NOT work.

TRL
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I will have the product group duplicate the problem and work on a fix for dpm 2012.  In the meantime, you can change the 9:00am inventory to start at 8:30am.

Set-MaintenanceJobStartTime -DPMServerName DPM_SERVER_NAME -MaintenanceJob LibraryInventory -StartTime 08:30 

Then you can download this power-shell script and schedule another DI at 9:00am prior to the backups.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/07/09/the-search-for-dpm-tape-utilities-stops-here.aspx

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I don't understand how changing the time solves the problem that it does NOT do a DI as advertised.

I did further testing and learned this -

If a slot was empty, the scheduled DI detects the new tape.  If the slot was full and the tape was switched the scheduled DI does not load the tape and detect the change.

TRL
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

The thinking was that it was necessary to run the DI twice, once being after a FI finished.  If what you say above is true, then the quick and painless solution would be to run a FI after removing the old tapes and before inserting the new so DPM sees the slots as blank, then after you insert the new tapes, the scheduled inventory will see the new tapes in the slots and run the DI.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Oh I know there many operator manual  solutions to solve the issue. I have been doing them for years. 

The point is I would like the automated job to work as advertised so I do not have to intervene.   

TRL
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried disabling the barcode reader in the library to see if that effects how DPM does DI ? 

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

Eureka! I have been unable to get my Qualtum Superload 3 (SDLT) to list all 16 tapes. It routinely only will show 6 tapes with the rest listed as empty. After disabling the barcode reader and performing a detailed inventory I can now use all 16 tapes.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:10 PM