none
Copy / Paste Issue with MS Project 2010 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue that's really causing me heartburn.  When I copy tasks from one project file into another, "some" of the time, it pastes them in the wrong order.  The tasks are listed in the correct order in the "Task Name" field, but the Task ID (Left most column), they are numbered out of order.  Collapsing and expanding the tasks will put them in Task ID order, but now everything in the Task name field is out of order.  I then have to spend time fixing this.

Strange thing is, MS Project will do this for all copy / paste operations for a while, and then it stops doing it. Closing everything and restarting doesn't seem to fix it.  Rebooting my PC doesn't seem to fix it.  Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't seem to fix it.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Alex

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:54 PM

Answers

• Alex,

As Rob stated, the "leftmost column" is not definitive. However, unless you customized the default Gantt Chart view, the leftmost column is the ID field. You can verify this by going to View/Data group/Tables/More Tables/Edit. The Table Definition window will show the specific makeup of the active view table.

I just noticed something new with Project 2010 and I haven't quite figured it out yet but if you double click on the header for the ID field (leftmost column), Project will so some type of sort. Is it possible you are double clicking on that header at some point in your process, perhaps unintentionally?

Project doesn't do things randomly. There is always some cause for what happens. We just have to figure out what that is. Would it be possible for you to send me your files with some explanation of the exact steps you use to see the problem? My address is below. Zip the files before sending. I will ask some questions.

Update:The "feature" I noticed when the first column, (locked and it doesn't matter which field it is), is double clicked, Project 2010 will first sort by outline level in ascending order and then by task name in descending order. I have no idea what this "feature" is for, but it's new to Project 2010.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

Saturday, April 21, 2012 5:00 PM

All replies

• Alex,

I have never heard of this issue before.  How are you performing the copy, i.e. are you selecting "cells" only, or are you selecting the "rows"?  Does this include summary tasks as well as the detailed tasks (children of the summary)?  If they are summaries, are they collapsed when you copy them?  Are you pasting directly into a blank section of the new project file or are you inserting this in the middle of existing tasks?  When pasting into an existing order of tasks in another project, the ID numbers will change from the one you copied from.

I know these issues may seem trivial but, how/what you copy and how/where you paste it will produce different effects.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:24 PM
  • I agree.  They will effect the results. So to answer you questions:

I am copying rows.  This includes all tasks and the detailed tasks (children).  All are expanded when I copy them.  I am pasting into a blank section of a project.  I understand that where I paste will effect the Task ID.   Let me explain that issue a little more. 

This is what I'm copying:

!    Task Name     Start D.      Finish D.    Predic...
    1       Task 1                          
    2          Sub1
    3          Sub2                                             2
    4          Sub3                                             3
    5            Sub-a                                          4
    6            Sub-b                                          4

When I paste it into another project it turns out like this:

!    Task Name     Start D.      Finish D.    Predic...
    21       Task 1
    22          Sub1
    26          Sub2                                            2
    23          Sub3                                            3
    25            Sub-a                                         4
    24            Sub-b                                         4

Note.. the "Task Name" field is still in the right order, but the Task ID is wrong.  If I collapse and then expand "Task 1", it will reorder tasks so that the Task ID's are in order, but the Task Names and associated info is all messed up.  It also messes up dependencies:

!    Task Name     Start D.      Finish D.    Predic...
    21       Task 1
    22          Sub1
    23          Sub3                                            22
    24          Sub-b                                           23
    25          Sub-a                                           22
    26          Sub2                                            24

• Edited by Alex Weeks Friday, April 20, 2012 10:32 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Alex,

More information is necessary.

First, are you sure you are looking at the ID and not the Unique ID?

Second, something looks fishy with your file. It appears that Sub-a and Sub-b are indented under Sub 3 but that's impossible with the predecessors shown. So what is the real structure?

Is sorting or filtering applied to the file you are copying?

Are the files in manually scheduled or auto scheduled mode?

May I assume this is a straight copy/paste (i.e. not paste text data and not pasted into a dynamically linked master file)?

John

Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:56 AM
  • The "ID" I am referring to, is from the leftmost column.

As for my "file", that isn't a real file.  I just wrote it to illustrate some of what's happening.  When I paste, and this issue appears, it messes up orders, predecessors, indenting, etc...  and once again, it does this randomly.  I can perform the same copy / paste operation 20 times without error, but then it get's funky and won't stop for a while.  This is just a straight copy/paste.

I am not doing any sort of sorting, or filtering.  I just copy the tasks, and paste them.  Like I said, 99% of the time there is no problem.  Like right now, no issue.  Earlier today this problem was there.

All tasks are auto scheduled.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Alex,

Fields can be anywhere, and being "leftmost" doesn't sufficiently describe it. Is it "ID" or "UniqueID"? Or something else?

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Alex,

As Rob stated, the "leftmost column" is not definitive. However, unless you customized the default Gantt Chart view, the leftmost column is the ID field. You can verify this by going to View/Data group/Tables/More Tables/Edit. The Table Definition window will show the specific makeup of the active view table.

I just noticed something new with Project 2010 and I haven't quite figured it out yet but if you double click on the header for the ID field (leftmost column), Project will so some type of sort. Is it possible you are double clicking on that header at some point in your process, perhaps unintentionally?

Project doesn't do things randomly. There is always some cause for what happens. We just have to figure out what that is. Would it be possible for you to send me your files with some explanation of the exact steps you use to see the problem? My address is below. Zip the files before sending. I will ask some questions.

Update:The "feature" I noticed when the first column, (locked and it doesn't matter which field it is), is double clicked, Project 2010 will first sort by outline level in ascending order and then by task name in descending order. I have no idea what this "feature" is for, but it's new to Project 2010.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

Saturday, April 21, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hi Alex

I think this is just copy & paste error.(You are not doing it properly)

I will suggest you to copy tasks properly and then open MSP and your cursor(selection) should be as follows:-

And then paste the tasks simply. [Ensure that you have selected the top most row of MSP]

If the selection is done wrong(or the tasks are copied wrongly) then only this error will show up.

Thanks

Manish

Monday, April 23, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Not to be rude, but I know how to copy and paste.  I can do the same copy / paste operation a dozen time and the outcome is perfect, but suddenly I can't copy and paste with out errors.  This problem is frustrating because it is very intermittent.

When I "copy" I select the entire row for all tasks I want.

I have also tried just copying just the fields I want, Task, Duration, Start, End, Predecessors, Resource, etc..  Doesn't change the outcome.  If the error is happening, varying how I copy doesn't resolve this.

While troubleshooting this, one of the things I have done is increase my Project cache size.  Maybe this will help

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Understood that this intermittent behavior is frustrating, just wanted to check is there any formatting involved on the copied rows? Also, how many rows do you copy at a time? Is it a large project or a Master Project where pasting is done or copied from? If there's a master project then how many sub-projects it have. May be these specifications could help further to understand the issue. Do you have all the latest patches installed for Project 2010?

Sapna S

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Alex

I am having a similar problem in that I copy a milestone (row) and past special (dynamic link) most of the time will work fine but then it copies the milestone as a task add duration and marks it as 100% complete.  This is driving me crazy as well.

Any suggestion and by the way I have been using MSP for 10 years so like you know how to copy and paste.

regards

Krys

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:14 AM
  • I am having the very same problem Alex... Its not you...I have been doing this type of work for 20 years. This is a bug that needs to be fixed. It can destroy an entire project with one click. It can happen even when you are changing background colors in boxes. VERY STRANGE MICROSOFT.... PLEASE HELP US FIX THIS ISSUE!!!

Dustin Crank
    National Weather Service

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Dustin,

Sorry you are having trouble.  Do you have SP-1 installed to Project 2010?  In the the second post from Alex where he discusses structure - there is something wrong - Sub A and Sub b cannot have Sub 3 as a predecessor.

So, can you please explain what is going on in your world.  You copy a series of tasks by the row number.  You paste and........

I cannot repeat what you note with a copy/paste.  All tasks are in the correct order with the correct IDs.  I am running SP-1 as well as the most recent (April) cumulative update in Project 2010.

Julie

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Dustin,

As you are from the National Weather Server and probably have IT support ... perhaps have them try all this on a different machine (or same machine) with a fresh install of Windows and Project?  Something is interfering with copy/paste and while at the surface it's with Project, copy/paste is a system service. Need to find (or obliterate) the program that is interfering. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:39 AM
  • John,

I was having the same issue and thanks to your suggestion I looked in to the Table Definition and sure enough, someone that used this system before I had inserted some additional column's in to the default settings.   It was driving me absolutely crazy. I deleted the 2 columns that were not necessary and now everything works great.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:48 PM
  • TheBigHurt,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. After re-reading this thread it looks like we never got to the bottom of Alex's issue so there was no "answer". I asked him to send me his file but he never did so perhaps he gave up on getting help. You however were helped so perhaps you could mark this as answered.

John

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:48 AM
  • John,

I am new here and would mark it as answer however, I am not sure how to do that.  I will look around and see if I can figure it out.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:12 PM
  • TheBigHurt,

At the bottom of each post in the thread, you should see a series of options (Reply | Quote | Mark as answer | Report as abuse). Pick whichever post you felt answered your question and click the "Mark as answer" option. And/or you can click the little up arrow below the icon on the left side to vote as helpful.

John

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Hi all,

I could resolve this by removing defunct Enterprise custom field columns from the table definition. I probably had added these at some point to the table, then removed them from Server Settings Enterprise Custom fields and forgot to check the table definitions.

Cheers,

Bram

www.projectexpert.nu

www.projectexpert.nu

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:25 PM