/i being added to command line RRS feed

• Question

• We have a really weird problem with our SMS 2003 environment.  We have tested this many times and each time we get the same result.

we have an .MSI file (from Microsoft).  On the program proerties\Command Line we have this exact syntax.

msdrmclient.msi /i ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=R /QN REINSTALLMODE=omus REINSTALL=ALL

We have deployed this to a half dozen different XP machines and each time we see the following in the Status Messages.

Command line: "C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "C:\WINDOWS\System32\CCM\Cache\HII0017D.10.System\msdrmclient.msi" /i ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=R /QN

Notice there are TWO /i switches.   Where on earth did the second one come from?   What could cause that to happen?   

Thanks.   

mqh7
    Monday, December 27, 2010 10:58 PM

Answers

• This is one of those very rare occasions that I will disagree with Sherry.

This has nothing to do with SMS or ConfigMgr. This is completely a workstations issue. Every time you double click an MSI it looks at the registry and execute the appropriate command. A quick search of the registry will show you that the command line to open an MSI is “"%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*” from “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\Open\command”. As you can see there is a /i as part of the command line.

so...

http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:33 PM

All replies

• I won't hurt it; but the reason it is adding it is because you are starting the command line with "somefile.msi".  By design, SMS interprets (correctly) that it is an MSI file that should install with msiexec.exe /i.  So it puts that at the beginning.

If you think it might be a problem, or you just don't like it, on your command line, remove the /i, i.e., use this:

msdrmclient.msi ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=R /QN REINSTALLMODE=omus REINSTALL=ALL

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:00 AM
  • This is one of those very rare occasions that I will disagree with Sherry.

This has nothing to do with SMS or ConfigMgr. This is completely a workstations issue. Every time you double click an MSI it looks at the registry and execute the appropriate command. A quick search of the registry will show you that the command line to open an MSI is “"%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*” from “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\Open\command”. As you can see there is a /i as part of the command line.

so...

http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:33 PM
  • I bow to Garth.  He's right; I just never thought it thru that far.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:48 PM