none
Error code 1603 While deploying symantec Endpoint protection through MDT Task sequence as Install a single Application

Question

• Hi ,

Am getting Error code 1603 (fatal error during installation) while deploying the SEP through MDT task sequence . am not getting such issue regularly but some time am getting and need to be fixed.

Shailendra

Shailendra Dev

Monday, March 03, 2014 8:36 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Am getting Error code 1603 (fatal error during installation) while deploying the SEP through MDT task sequence . am not getting such issue regularly but some time am getting and need to be fixed.

Shailendra

Shailendra Dev

What version of SEP?

Since SEP 12.1 and the last versions, there are plenty extra stuff that have been added to make the installation troubleshooting easier.

1) SEP_inst.log

2) SIS_inst.log

You can get these extra installation debug logs on the directory below.

Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1101.401\Data\Install\Logs\

Monday, March 03, 2014 11:36 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Shailendra

Shailendra Dev

What version of SEP?

Since SEP 12.1 and the last versions, there are plenty extra stuff that have been added to make the installation troubleshooting easier.

1) SEP_inst.log

2) SIS_inst.log

You can get these extra installation debug logs on the directory below.

Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1101.401\Data\Install\Logs\

Monday, March 03, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Hi Shailendra

Error 1603 within SEP was an issue with Windows Defender blocking registry writes for the installation.  I configured Windows Defender off by default when building the image and on when deploying the image. You can do this inside of the unattend file.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:21 PM
  • thanks Ryan,

Should i Disable the Windows defender before Capture the image or it can be through other aspects ?

Shailendra

Shailendra Dev

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:24 AM
  • Well you're going to need to disable it -before- you run SEP installation. That error is because Windows Defender is blocking registry writes by the installation - at least it was on mine in my logs :) Open your unattend and add amd64_security-malware-windows-defender_x.x.x to your unattend and configure disableantispyware to true. You can flip the service back on by either policy when the image is applied or during the application sequence after SEP is installed.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

Logs can provide more detail info, as said earlier by MrBrooks provide SEP_Inst.log from the affected machine.

Adding Windows defender related articles if they can help you:

Keeping Windows Defender Enabled when Deploying and Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Client package.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168501

Windows Defender startup type registry value is Manual instead of Disabled after installing Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH206793

How to prepare a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.x client for cloning

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO54706

Best Regards,

Chetan

Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:32 PM