WSUS Opt Out for Unused Machine Architecture (e.g. IA64) and Language Interface Packs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've been migrating WSUS to a new server, and one of the things I've noticed is quite how many updates are being downloaded that simply don't apply to the environments we support.

What I'm referring to, is that despite fine tuning the products and classifications to suit the environment it seems that we are forced to download updates that just don't apply.

I'm in Australia, and unfortunately the internet speeds and infrastructure in different areas lacks somewhat...especially for the large number of downloads on Patch Tuesday.

If I haven't lost you yet, what I'm looking for, is the ability to say 'We don't have any IA64 machines in our environment, so we'd like to exclude this from our WSUS subscriptions.' I can't say quite how much of an overhead this is on the monthly downloads, it could be negligible, however it seems that this could be improved somewhat.

Every month, after Patch Tuesday updates have been sync'd from Microsoft, I manually search for IA64 and decline the updates (provided they aren't for x64 and IA64).

There is also a case for many environments, whereby x64 has been fully adopted, and x86/32 Bit updates probably aren't required (e.g. Windows 7 x64 with Office 2013 x64 etc).

Perhaps this could be achieved via an SQL task at the database end, or a PowerShell script that searches for IA64 but not IA64 & x64 and runs as a scheduled task?

If the capability isn't there, would this be a reasonable feature request do you think?

If this sort of capability is there, or could be delivered, it could also be extended to include Language Packs, Language Interface Packs etc, that are unused?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ian

Ian

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

As far as I know, we can't filter the IA64 updates by using GUI.

We may need to write a script to achieve your goal.

Here is a simple sample:

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Ian,

As far as I know, we can't filter the IA64 updates by using GUI.

We may need to write a script to achieve your goal.

Here is a simple sample:

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:36 AM
  • Hi Steven,

many thanks for your reply.

I'll have a play with this in my test environment, and see how it goes.

If you are involved with the WSUS build team, could you run this past them as a feature request, to be included in the GUI?

Also, if you are requesting features, could you ask them if they could investigate moving to a web based console, like Exchange 2013 has done, as the vast majority of people I deal with have great troubles with the MMC.

I'll let you know my results from the testing, so that anyone else wanting this script can benefit.

Kind regards,

Ian

Ian

Friday, December 11, 2015 3:36 AM