none
MSS 2.5 final Still very slow on startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have just tested the new SS 2.5 and we still have the long boot problem :

When opening the session, it hangs for 1 minute on the blue screen with mouse cursor displayed.
    There is a slight speed improvement, it takes 1 minute instead of 2 with the old version.

Also, it still doesn't detect our antivirus Mcafee Virusscan 8.5i patch 5 .

We also had trouble to install, as we had to create a group named users because we use a french version of win xp and users group is utilisateurs group.

We would like to download the 1.1 version that was really fast and detected our antivirus, but we can't find the files anymore on microsoft.

Could you give me the link for the MSCT 1.1 please ?

Thank you,
    Eric
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As Microsoft Download Center does not provide the download link now, you may need to download Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit 1.1 from the following site:

http://stv.onlinedown.net/down/Shared_Computer_Toolkit_ENU.msi

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:49 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

First I would like to say Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit is not available now. It has been upgraded to Windows SteadyState 2.5.

Currently, I recommend reading Windows SteadyState 2.5 Handbook to check the system requirements and finish Preinstallation Tasks.

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f829bb8b-c7a9-426b-a7a4-2b504a6238d2&DisplayLang=en

Please format the drive and reinstall Windows XP. After that, install SteadyState again to check the result.

In addition, according to Windows SteadyState Technical FAQ, SteadyState can detect and update McAfee VirusScan 2005 and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0. However, it does not mention McAfee VirusScan 8.5.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

Checked the requirements, preinstallation tasks, tested on a fresh install, still slow on startup. Microsoft shared toolkit was a good tool and we would like to remove Steady state, to get 1.1. Does anyone here can send me the install file ?

My machine is 1Go Ram with P4 so no hardware trouble. MSCT 1.1 was running on pIII with 512 Mo RAM...

I'm sorry but Steady State 2.5 is the same *** as v2

The slow speed bug has already mentionned on the forum previously, but no fix has been found for more than one year ! Maybe you could throw steady state and just continue developping msct 1.1.

Cheers,

Eric

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

As Microsoft Download Center does not provide the download link now, you may need to download Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit 1.1 from the following site:

http://stv.onlinedown.net/down/Shared_Computer_Toolkit_ENU.msi

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:49 AM