none
Avoid installation of language packs in Internet Explorer 11 (Only want a English User interface) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just started to test Internet Explorer 11 in our setup. Our computers are running Windows 7 ENU  (Enterprise edition) customized with at language MUI, based on the country the computer is located in. So far we've been running a English(the menus etc) Internet Explorer 9 configuration independent of language MUI installed. But when we start to deploy Internet Explorer 11, it will automatically install the  language pack of the Windows 7 MUI language  (We would like to continue with Internet Explorer 11 in English only). This behaviour only occurs when deploying Internet Explorer 11 to already existing running Computers. If we build a new Image for deployment which includes Internet Explorer 11(before the image is deployed and MUI's are added, Internet Explorer 11 will be in English afterwards as well)

We build the installationpackage in IEAK, choosing the target platform to be English (and tried the standard installationpackage as well) but no matter what, a Internet Explorer 11 language pack, is installed on the Non-English computers.  It's possible to uninstall the Language pack afterwards in the Updates list, but that cannot be the way to solve it.

So what am I missing, is this by design or is it possible to avoid this behaviour.

Kind Regards,

Jakob

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Jakob,

for example, on the affected workstations, what is happening when users navigate to say

http://google.com or http://bing.com ... are they seeing the web page in a different language? Are they redirected to another google or bing locale? Some sites like google and bing and MS regional sites store the users locale preferences in an online 'profile'....

the above may be a completely different issue to

"But when we start to deploy Internet Explorer 11, it will automatically install the  language pack of the Windows 7 MUI language" - this is expected as the language packs contain font files as well as UI string resources. IE will use the string menu resources from the Windows language pack and display the UI in the OS language.

The IE manual update links on MS 'sniff' the Os language settings, not the browsers language settings (which does not affect the UI menu's language)...

Possibly....pre-install the English Language pack to all workstations./and

A workaround MAY be to use a slipstream image instead of an IEAK package.

I hope you understand what I am talking about...

the Users' IE and other programs' UI language preferences are determined from their Windows locale preferences....

IEAK language settings are for the Internet Options>General tab, 'Languages' button settings... this determines which language codes are sent in the accept headers of http(s) requests.

Some International sites, like bing, google and MS use a central profile of the user preferences and ignore the OS and browser language preferences and present a url (cdn/cloud) in the language and locale preferences of their account profile.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:19 PM
  • Hi Jakob,

What is your current situation?

I agree with what Rob suggested, A workaround MAY be to deploy with the image instead of the IEAK package.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jakob_Svarrer Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:17 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Jakob,

for example, on the affected workstations, what is happening when users navigate to say

http://google.com or http://bing.com ... are they seeing the web page in a different language? Are they redirected to another google or bing locale? Some sites like google and bing and MS regional sites store the users locale preferences in an online 'profile'....

the above may be a completely different issue to

"But when we start to deploy Internet Explorer 11, it will automatically install the  language pack of the Windows 7 MUI language" - this is expected as the language packs contain font files as well as UI string resources. IE will use the string menu resources from the Windows language pack and display the UI in the OS language.

The IE manual update links on MS 'sniff' the Os language settings, not the browsers language settings (which does not affect the UI menu's language)...

Possibly....pre-install the English Language pack to all workstations./and

A workaround MAY be to use a slipstream image instead of an IEAK package.

I hope you understand what I am talking about...

the Users' IE and other programs' UI language preferences are determined from their Windows locale preferences....

IEAK language settings are for the Internet Options>General tab, 'Languages' button settings... this determines which language codes are sent in the accept headers of http(s) requests.

Some International sites, like bing, google and MS use a central profile of the user preferences and ignore the OS and browser language preferences and present a url (cdn/cloud) in the language and locale preferences of their account profile.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

I think this behavior is by default.

Here is some of the language support inforamtion about Internet Explorer 11:

"

Computers running localized versions of Windows should run the same version of Internet Explorer 11. For example, if your employees use the Spanish edition of Windows, you should deploy the Spanish version of Internet Explorer 11. On the other hand, if your employees use multiple localized versions of Windows, like Spanish, French, and Catalan, you should install Internet Explorer 11 in one of the languages, and then install language packs for the others.

"

Reference: System requirements and language support for Internet Explorer 11 (IE11)

Hope this information is helpful.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:24 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for your post. I was hoping I was doing something wrong in the proces;-)

, The slipstreamed workaround (or the build and capture that we do when building the reference image) as you mention, is the workaround I been doing so far, but of course that will only affect new computers (leaving a mix of Internet Explorer 11 in English UI,  localized UI's) Of course we could add the localized language pack to the slipstreamed ones afterwards, but was hoping we could keep an English UI in Internet Explorer 11.

Regards,

Jakob

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Hi Jakob,

What is your current situation?

I agree with what Rob suggested, A workaround MAY be to deploy with the image instead of the IEAK package.

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Marked as answer by Jakob_Svarrer Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:17 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 8:15 AM
  • Hi Michael,

My initial workaround from the beginning, is the same one as you and Rob suggested. Include  Internet Explorer 11 in the baseline reference image before deploying the Windows MUI (using the IEAK package or the standard Internet Exploer 11 download, doesn't matter as long as Windows is in  English at the time of installation of Internet Explorer 11.

So I guess that approach must be the answer(since no one else have submit additional solutions)

Kind Regards,

Jakob

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:16 PM