Illegal characters in path exception trying to restore a SPS 2003 portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to restore a portal from a database and SharePoint is throwing the unhandled System.ArgumentException 'Illegal characters in path'. I'm using Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and SQL Server 2008 in 2005 compatibility mode. Can anyone suggest where to look for the offending path? Is it in the database or is it a configuration on the target server? It seems strange to me that it's a log file path that seems to be causing the problem. Here are the relevant log entries for the restore/exception.

03/20/11 09:25:48:516 UNK 00000000 0000142C Url Path: "/SPS/PortalCreateLogFile.aspx"
    03/20/11 09:25:48:516 UNK 00000000 0000142C ShipAssert 0000 System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2), Unhandled exception caught during execution of Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.PageBase::ErrorHandler(). Exception information: Exception information: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ServerAdmin.PortalCreateLogFilePage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.PageBase.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(), Exception information: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.ServerAdmin.PortalCreateLogFilePage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.PageBase.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

I also noticed these log entries a few seconds before the exception. Could they be a symptom of a larger problem?

03/20/11 09:25:43:922 UNK 00000000 0000142C DirectoryInfo C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\TEMPLATE\ADMIN threw exception: Input string was not in a correct format.
    03/20/11 09:25:43:922 UNK 00000000 0000142C DirectoryInfo C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\TEMPLATE\IMAGES threw exception: Input string was not in a correct format.
    03/20/11 09:25:43:922 UNK 00000000 0000142C DirectoryInfo C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS threw exception: Input string was not in a correct format.
    03/20/11 09:25:43:922 UNK 00000000 0000142C DirectoryInfo C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\TEMPLATE\SQL threw exception: Input string was not in a correct format.
    03/20/11 09:25:43:922 UNK 00000000 0000142C DirectoryInfo C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\TEMPLATE\THEMES threw exception: Input string was not in a correct format.
    03/20/11 09:25:43:922 UNK 00000000 0000142C DirectoryInfo C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\TEMPLATE\XML threw exception: Input string was not in a correct format.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Dave

Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, firstly, please check the steps that you have taken it correctly:

1.       Click on the "Start" button and then move your cursor over the "SharePoint Portal Server" option, with the program already installed and running on your computer. Click on the "SharePoint Portal Server Data Backup and Restore" option.

2.       Click on the "Restore" tab from the dialog box and then specify a location for your manifest file in the "Manifest file" box. The manifest file is the XML file within your directory that is used to back up your server.

3.       Click on the plus sign next to the "Available components" field and then click on all components in SharePoint Portal Server that you want to restore.

4.       Click on the "Restore" button. When choosing this option, all existing data will be overwritten with the restored data.

5.       Click on the "OK" button from the confirmation message dialog box. Click on the "OK" button from the successful completion message dialog box and the SharePoint Portal Server will be restored.

And please also check whether you have installed SPS 2003 SP3, if not, please download it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab086d48-1148-48de-b4ec-a6298367e5f0&displaylang=en.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, firstly, please check the steps that you have taken it correctly:

1.       Click on the "Start" button and then move your cursor over the "SharePoint Portal Server" option, with the program already installed and running on your computer. Click on the "SharePoint Portal Server Data Backup and Restore" option.

2.       Click on the "Restore" tab from the dialog box and then specify a location for your manifest file in the "Manifest file" box. The manifest file is the XML file within your directory that is used to back up your server.

3.       Click on the plus sign next to the "Available components" field and then click on all components in SharePoint Portal Server that you want to restore.

4.       Click on the "Restore" button. When choosing this option, all existing data will be overwritten with the restored data.

5.       Click on the "OK" button from the confirmation message dialog box. Click on the "OK" button from the successful completion message dialog box and the SharePoint Portal Server will be restored.

And please also check whether you have installed SPS 2003 SP3, if not, please download it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab086d48-1148-48de-b4ec-a6298367e5f0&displaylang=en.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried restoring using the steps you outlined - many times in fact :) - always with the same result. I have also tried creating a portal by restoring it from database in the SharePoint Portal Server Central Admin tool. That method also always results in the cryptic "Illegal characters in path" error message. I am on SP3 on both the source and target servers.

The source portal from which the backup comes is running fine but I am not able to restore backups made from it. That makes me think that maybe the problem is not with the content of the site or its backup/databases but with an environmental (mis)configuration on the target server.

What I really need is some insight into /SPS/PortalCreateLogFile.aspx and what inputs it might be receiving that would cause its invocation of System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2) to fail. In other, words where could the inputs with illegal characters be coming from? Are there any additional tools or extended logging possibilities that I could use to help determine that?

Best Regards,

Dave

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:55 PM