Win 2012 R2 WSUS - Downstream WSUS Replica Defaults to Microsoft Updates Instead of Upstream WSUS Master RRS feed

• Question

• At one of our locations, the downstream WSUS replica looses the IP of the upstream master WSUS. The settings on the downstream changes to Microsoft Updates radio button.  The manual change sticks for a little bit, then when checked later, it's set to sync with MS Updates.

Once changed manually, a manual sync to upstream works fine.  The defaulting MS Update syncs as well.

A basic search in the registry didn't turn up the setting for the upstream server.  Very possible I missed the setting for the upstream WSUS server.

Any ideas where I can find the problem?

Thanks,

Vince

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What did you modify before you lost the Upstream server IP?
    Have you tried using FQDN instead of IP?
    Did the Downstream server has normal resolution with upstream server?
    Did you try to restart the Downstream server's WSUS service?

In addition, please open PowerShell and run command "Get-WindowsUpdateLog" to get windows update log 
    By default you should get the WindowsUpdate.Log file on your desktop .
    Please check if there is any error/failure in that log after the time you have noted .

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:35 AM
  • What did you modify before you lost the Upstream server IP?

I connected SCCM to the downstream server so that approved updates on the downstream server could be shared on SCCM.  That means downstream because upstream for SCCM.  I have since changed SCCM to point to MS and want downstream WSUS to point to upstream WSUS server.

Have you tried using FQDN instead of IP?

Yes, tried both FQDN and IP.

Did the Downstream server has normal resolution with upstream server?

Yes, it resolves.  Also, from the downstream to the upstream I can telnet to the WSUS port.

In addition, please open PowerShell and run command "Get-WindowsUpdateLog" to get windows update log 

Don't have this command.  I upgraded to latest PS version and still not available.

Description

The Get-WindowsUpdateLog cmdlet merges and converts Windows Update .etl files into a single readable WindowsUpdate.log file. Windows Update Agent uses Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) to generate diagnostic logs. Windows Update no longer directly produces a WindowsUpdate.log file. Instead, it produces .etl files that are not immediately readable as written.

This cmdlet requires access to a Microsoft symbol server.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:25 PM