Error 0x80070005 when upgrading to windows 7 from vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have been trying to upgrade my laptop from windows vista to windows 7, and I have failed each time I tried. I get the same error in the same spot every time. When the upgrade reaches the "Expanding Windows files" part, the upgrade stops and gives the following error message:

"Windows cannot install required files. Network problems may be preventing Windows from accessing the file. Make sure the computer is connected to the network and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070005"

Does anybody know how to work around this problem? Thanks in Advance -Chris
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris

This issue is most likely caused by the firewall or anti-virus on the Windows vista . I suggest that you disable the security programs in Windows vista as a test.

If you are running third party security software, make sure that it is designed specifically for Windows Vista and above.  Anti-malware written for earlier versions of Windows can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems on Windows.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=885409

then try upgrading from vista.

Does it work..?

N!KH!L
    • Marked as answer by cmayer91 Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris

This issue is most likely caused by the firewall or anti-virus on the Windows vista . I suggest that you disable the security programs in Windows vista as a test.

If you are running third party security software, make sure that it is designed specifically for Windows Vista and above.  Anti-malware written for earlier versions of Windows can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems on Windows.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=885409

then try upgrading from vista.

Does it work..?

N!KH!L
    • Marked as answer by cmayer91 Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:46 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:52 PM
  • I am about to try again with firewall and McAfee VirusScan disabled. However after messing around with the upgrade and manually trying to start the upgrade via the TOSHIBA upgrade disc, the compatibility report stated that "You can't upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings." What does this mean? Did TOSHIBA send me the wrong disc? Thanks again, -Chris
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Ah problem solved. It seemed disabling the Windows firewall and removing my virus protection software worked. The upgrade is complete.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Chris,

I am having a problem similar to this, but mine involves installing a fresh copy of windows 7. I have partitioned the HDD, & it copied the files, it then started to expand and I got this error.

Any ideas as to why this may happen, the system has had no previous windows install on it.

Thanks.

Rory.

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:32 AM