none
AGPM client and server combinations?

Question

• I have seen the support matrix for AGPM, but my main concern is not making sure that my AGPM group policy clients be shown every new feature in Windows 10, etc.  I have a 2012r2 domain and my main concern is spinning up a AGPM 4.0 sp3 server that hopefully will allow both Win7 and Win10 agpm clients to connect.  It sounds like that in order for Win10 AGPM client to connect, that I must be running AGPM server on 2016.  Is that correct, or are there any exceptions that will allow for Win10 to connect to a Windows 2012r2 AGPM server that possibly does not give you all of the available policies?  If 2016 AGPM 4.0 sp3 is required for Win10 connections, can Win7 clients still connect and work with most policies?  I realize that is not fully supported and Microsoft likes specific combinations, but just trying to see what will work for 90% of the existing policies.  Also, what happens to people that do not use the AGPM client, but currently have permissions to edit or read GPOs?  Will they still be able to work as normal?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/mdop/agpm/choosing-which-version-of-agpm-to-install

Thanks,

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Friday, March 03, 2017 11:01 PM
    Friday, March 03, 2017 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I have seen the support matrix for AGPM, but my main concern is not making sure that my AGPM group policy clients be shown every new feature in Windows 10, etc.  I have a 2012r2 domain and my main concern is spinning up a AGPM 4.0 sp3 server that hopefully will allow both Win7 and Win10 agpm clients to connect.  It sounds like that in order for Win10 AGPM client to connect, that I must be running AGPM server on 2016.  Is that correct,

>>>No, you could install both AGPM server/client on Windows 10.

If 2016 AGPM 4.0 sp3 is required for Win10 connections, can Win7 clients still connect and work with most policies?  

>>>You could install AGPM 2.0 SP3 on Windows 10, and it still allow Windows 7 connect and works.

but currently have permissions to edit or read GPOs?  Will they still be able to work as normal?

>>>You could not install AGPM, and group policy can work as normal. Microsoft Advanced Group Policy Management (AGPM) extends the capabilities of the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to provide comprehensive change control and improved management for Group Policy Objects (GPOs).

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Jay

Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:04 PM