Word 2010 normal.dotm RRS feed

• Question

• Several client make use of the normal.dotm as they start Word 2010, The configuration in Word 2010 loads a normal.dotm on a networkshare.

I have made a change to the normal.dotm that is changed fonttype and size. Several clients show that change when they start Word but several clients show another font. The font is on al clients because it is Arial so that cannot be the cause. it looks like several clients do not load / read the \\fileshare\normal.dotm correctly.

When i load the \\fileshare\normal.dotm manually thru file - open , then the font is changed accordingly what i have set, but the same file is in the setting of word to load at startup but then it is not the right font....

When i start Word 2010 and choose file - open in the left above corner one can choose templates. The location of that template is different then the one set in the settings of Word.

How can this be, what is wrong?

freddie

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:35 AM

Answers

• A part of the problem you are seeing is that Word creates its own normal.dotm file when it can't find one where it is supposed to look.

Here is a link to the Microsoft take on sharing the normal template. You Cannot Share the Normal.dot[m] File Among Multiple Users This is an older article but nothing it says has changed. That is how Word works. When I first was setting up a LAN using Word, I tried sharing the normal template as well. It is intuitive to do so; but it does not work. The more users you have the more problems it can cause. It is likely that you have had problems with sharing normal.dotm but not recognized that the problems were caused by that.

The normal template is intended to be a personal workspace/resource and should not be overwritten from a main source. It should be stored in the user templates folder (which also should not be a shared folder). You certainly can create a customized normal.dotm template and distribute it as a starting point but there is little reason to do so.

Overwriting someone else's normal.dotm template is a bit like opening the drawers in their desk and rearranging them, tossing out items if you don't know their purpose. I learned long ago to not be going through my secretary's drawers!

If you want to standardize your documents you can do that with a combination of Workgroup Templates and Global Templates. Global templates will let you share custom building blocks, macros, ribbon and QAT modifications. You can even use them to share styles although usually that is better done through document templates.

It is quite possible to have a different template than the normal template be the basis for the blank document you see when you start Word or for when you use Ctrl+N. There are examples of this on my downloads page. Downloads - Microsoft Word - Add-Ins - Tutorials - Letterhead - Templates

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Edited by Charles Kenyon Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Sunday, February 8, 2015 2:13 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:21 PM

All replies

• The Normal.dotm template SHOULD NOT BE SHARED.

If there is any network delay when Word is started, it will generate a new Normal.dotm from defaults locally. This is not the only or most important reason for not sharing normal.dotm but it is probably the reason for the problems you are seeing.

Templates in Microsoft Word

I expect that restarts of Word would go to the local normal.dotm file.

Shared document templates should be stored in a Workgroup Templates folder.

It is quite possible to share other customizations as well, just not through the normal.dotm template.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:59 PM
  • I guess you are right but we are sharing the normal.dotm for years now, and never had problems with it. When it cannot be shared i must copy the normal.dotm to every client locally?

freddie

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:47 PM
  • A part of the problem you are seeing is that Word creates its own normal.dotm file when it can't find one where it is supposed to look.

Here is a link to the Microsoft take on sharing the normal template. You Cannot Share the Normal.dot[m] File Among Multiple Users This is an older article but nothing it says has changed. That is how Word works. When I first was setting up a LAN using Word, I tried sharing the normal template as well. It is intuitive to do so; but it does not work. The more users you have the more problems it can cause. It is likely that you have had problems with sharing normal.dotm but not recognized that the problems were caused by that.

The normal template is intended to be a personal workspace/resource and should not be overwritten from a main source. It should be stored in the user templates folder (which also should not be a shared folder). You certainly can create a customized normal.dotm template and distribute it as a starting point but there is little reason to do so.

Overwriting someone else's normal.dotm template is a bit like opening the drawers in their desk and rearranging them, tossing out items if you don't know their purpose. I learned long ago to not be going through my secretary's drawers!

If you want to standardize your documents you can do that with a combination of Workgroup Templates and Global Templates. Global templates will let you share custom building blocks, macros, ribbon and QAT modifications. You can even use them to share styles although usually that is better done through document templates.

It is quite possible to have a different template than the normal template be the basis for the blank document you see when you start Word or for when you use Ctrl+N. There are examples of this on my downloads page. Downloads - Microsoft Word - Add-Ins - Tutorials - Letterhead - Templates

• Edited by Charles Kenyon Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Sunday, February 8, 2015 2:13 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:21 PM