none
Upgrade WinServer2003 and SQLServer2005 to 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked and found a lot of data about updating ProjServer2007 to 2010. However I can't upgrade to the 2010 product right now. Yet I would like to upgrade my Project Server 2007 system from WinServer2003 and SQL server2005 to the 2008 versions (R2). I have dual WFE/APP servers (running all services) and a SQL server.

Does this plan provide a proper upgrade to the 2008 products? 

The new servers will all have WindowsServer2008R2. I think I should do a full installtion of MSPServer2007 on my two WFE/App servers and using the wizard connect the SQL2008R2 server. Then I think I should restore my databases (.bak) from the SQL2005 system to this new system. Then provision each instance (/pwa, /otherprogram, /etc). Then I guess I should use "stsadm -o add contentdb" to restore my old content database. At that point I think I either have new addresses for the instances or I can use aliases to allow the users to keep their old URLs.

Would that plan work?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:11 PM

Answers

• Ahh so you have multiple instances. Then it should be pretty easy, you just need to reprovision the instances each with their set of 4 Project DB's.

The important distinction here is that you will need to recreate each instance PWA site, in your example /program1, /program2 etc using your restored project databases. PS 2007 doesn't allow you to simply attach the content db and for any content in that instance (i.e. non project related artefacts, such as document library content, content editor webparts etc) to be picked up. You will need to build the instances and reapply the above manually.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by Quized again Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You are correct, build your new farm up and then do a backup restore of the relevant databases from the old environment through to the new environment. I am not sure of what other stuff you have on the farm, but from a project perspective, provision a new PWA instance with your four restored Project DB's, restore you Project Sites and repoint at them. If your current Project sites are sitting under the /PWA site, you may need to extract them into a seperate content db first (2007 won't allow you to reprovision an existing PWA site, only create a new one)

If you have decommissioned your old farm, you should be able to repoint Urls etc to the new farm. You will definately have to do some WSS Site Relinking using the siterelinker tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197498(office.12).aspx).

Good luck :)

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Cool, thanks Alex. I have nothing on the servers but the project server system (virtual servers). I also am not using project workspaces. When you say "restore your project sites" you mean the stsadm command to add the contentdb right? (I want to make sure I am not missing a task in IIS manager for example)

Not sure about the part on being under the /PWA site. All of my sites are built as http://servername/program1, http://servername/program2, etc... Does that make it easier for me?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Ahh so you have multiple instances. Then it should be pretty easy, you just need to reprovision the instances each with their set of 4 Project DB's.

The important distinction here is that you will need to recreate each instance PWA site, in your example /program1, /program2 etc using your restored project databases. PS 2007 doesn't allow you to simply attach the content db and for any content in that instance (i.e. non project related artefacts, such as document library content, content editor webparts etc) to be picked up. You will need to build the instances and reapply the above manually.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    • Marked as answer by Quized again Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Thank you so much. I will be testing this and let you know how it goes.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:47 PM