none
IE settings: prviacy and cookie control

Question

• Hello,

I have been given instruction to implement a GP to lockdown IE, basically restricting users from changing settings etc. However, it seems as though one setting has changed that has impacted the privacy tab on IE options. Now, the privacy setting is set to 'block all cookies'. i can move the slider down but as soon as i press ok it defaults back to block all cookies. i can't see anything in my template that would suggest this function has been edited. any ideas?

regards,

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Seems we don't have any built-in Group Policy setting or item in Group Policy Preference that control the Privacy tab slider.

To my knowledge, Windows examines the following registry subkey for the Privacy tab slider:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1A10

The DWORD values are as follows:

Block All Cookies:  00000003
     High: 00000001
     Medium High: 00000001
     Medium: 00000001
     Low: 00000001
     Accept all Cookies: 00000000

Any setting that might be forcing the value of 1A10 to 00000003? Hope this helps in your troubleshooting.

More reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182569

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:51 AM

All replies

• Any thoughts????

some direction would save us changing a setting then testing, one at a time. cheers

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Seems we don't have any built-in Group Policy setting or item in Group Policy Preference that control the Privacy tab slider.

To my knowledge, Windows examines the following registry subkey for the Privacy tab slider:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1A10

The DWORD values are as follows:

Block All Cookies:  00000003
     High: 00000001
     Medium High: 00000001
     Medium: 00000001
     Low: 00000001
     Accept all Cookies: 00000000

Any setting that might be forcing the value of 1A10 to 00000003? Hope this helps in your troubleshooting.

More reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182569

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Monday, October 19, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Thanks Ethan, it was very helpful. I did test this in many ways but still coming up as 'block all cookies' for one setup even though I have created the exact same settings in another setup.

for the registry values you have given, they seem to be all the same for high, medium high, medium and low - is that correct?

Monday, October 19, 2015 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

>I did test this in many ways but still coming up as 'block all cookies' for one setup

So this happens only on one machine now?

Yes, the DWORD values for high, medium high, medium and low are the same. Based on the settings in the slider, it will also modify the values in {A8A88C49-5EB2-4990-A1A2-0876022C854F}, {AEBA21Fa-782A-4A90-978D-B72164C80120}, or both.

That's how IE distinguishes these options. You can refer to the KB article shared above for more information.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:13 AM
  • Sorry, let me explain. I initially encountered this problem when creating an RDS setup for a client. I created a GPO to lockdown IE on the remote desktop server but found that cookies were being blocked.

the rules for this GPO were taken from another client setup and cookies are NOT blocked in that setup.

also, I recreated the GPO internally in our office and applied to my PC but cookies aren't blocked.

I haven't tried the registry instructions yet but will post back once I have. thanks.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:15 AM