windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• why do I have 3 program files...program files...program files (x86)...and program files (x86) (x86)
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:08 AM

Answers

• The first two are easily explainable - you're running a 64-bit version of Windows.  Therefore, there are the first two Program Files directories:  Program Files {for 64-bit apps}, and Program Files (x86) {for 32-bit apps.}
    The third, however, is a mystery (at least, from here.)  Its existence might be explainable by what's located there.  Could you open the folder, and list here what subfolders are in it?

Regards,
    Chris

MS-MVP (Media Center) [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by robhallhome Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:13 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• The first two are easily explainable - you're running a 64-bit version of Windows.  Therefore, there are the first two Program Files directories:  Program Files {for 64-bit apps}, and Program Files (x86) {for 32-bit apps.}
    The third, however, is a mystery (at least, from here.)  Its existence might be explainable by what's located there.  Could you open the folder, and list here what subfolders are in it?

Regards,
    Chris

MS-MVP (Media Center) [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Marked as answer by robhallhome Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:13 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:07 AM
  • the sub folder is my lexmark printer folder..

it is also in my normal program files.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Me, I'd:
    1- "blame" Lexmark for it;
    2- not worry about it.  Not one bit.

I'd say that, for whatever reason (likely sloppy coding on Lexmark's part), their installer couldn't find Program Files (x86), so it tried to create the folder.  Windows (for obvious reasons) wouldn't allow that (name's already in use, after all), so, it created the second folder. 
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

Redards,
    Chris

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:46 AM