none
GPO Password Policy

Question

• I am going to change a few settings with our default password policy

• Password Length - changed from 6 character to 10 character
    • Password Reset -  changed from 180 days to 90 days

When I make the change in group policy, when will the users be made to change their policy?

I am guessing once the account password is set to expire.  Also will accounts set to "never expire" be made to use new password policy?

Thanks

Friday, February 03, 2017 2:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• The policy technically takes effect somewhere up to 2 hours depending on the refresh interval or when the computer restarts. Users won't need to follow the new policy until their next reset, if you wanted this to take effect for all users more immediately, you could force all users to change their passwords upon next login.
    • Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, February 05, 2017 11:41 AM
    Friday, February 03, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, the new Password Policy will hit the users the next time they need to change their passwords. Current passwords remain valid. However, if you change the maximum password age to a shorter period such as from 90 days to 60 days, users with passwords that are older than 60 days will instantly be prompted to change a new password.
    Here is a blog regarding when a password policy change affects a user, you could see more details from:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2013/10/11/active-directory-password-policies-when-does-a-password-policy-change-affect-a-user/
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 06, 2017 8:17 AM