none
Odd circumstances regarding an 'unexpected error' in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of days ago, a client of mine started experiencing an odd error upon trying to save their project files in Project Professional 2010 while connected to Project Server 2010. They'd receive the following error:

An unexpected error occurred during command execution.

Try the following:

• Verify that all argument names and values are correct and are of the correct type.
    • You may have run out of memory. To free up available memory, close programs, projects, or windows that you are not using.

I am familiar with troubleshooting both of the cases as listed above in this error message and quickly determined that the client was not experiencing memory issues. I also could not find any instances where there were incorrect values in any project schedule fields.

We eventually were able to replicate the issue by following these steps:

1. A user creates a new project via PWA using an Enterprise Project Type that has been pre-defined to have a specific project template applied to it. Please note that this Enterprise Project Type did not create a workflow... only created a Project Details page, Project Information page, and Project Schedule based upon this template.
    2. This new project is given some basic Project level custom field information and set to the PM owner and then saved and published without any issues.
    3. Now, when the project schedule is opened immediately afterwards in Project Professional 2010, changes cannot be saved or published. Even the most basic of change at this point such as a new task line or renaming a task name will result in the error message given at the top of this post. The user is then forced to close the project file and check it back in. Note this applies to anyone performing some or all of these steps.

Note: If a project file was created from this same template through Project Professional instead of through PWA, it was fine and no errors would occur upon further editing.

Because of the above, I decided to try and open the existing project templates used in the Enterprise Project Types that were being affected and simply re-save them with new names. I made no other changes to these templates than just giving them a new name.

I then created new Enterprise Project Types that would then use these new templates. Other than this change, these Enterprise Project Types were exactly the same as the previous ones which caused errors.

Upon trying the new Enterprise Project Types, the project schedules behaved normally and new projects created from them would not cause the error listed.

This is extremely puzzling obviously and now my client is concerned that this is a symptom of a deeper problem in the database that we might not yet know about.

Is this an issue that anyone here has experienced before, and if so, knows how to correct and prevent from occurring again in the future?

Thank you.

Daniel E Crabtree

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• Daniel,

Issue could be due to corruption ? Please provide us information about current server and client patch level for Project. Also ULS log information would be beneficial to investigate this issue

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Monday, January 27, 2014 5:43 AM