PAS Bandwidth Usage RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone has perfomed Network/Bandwidth usage testing on PAS (V6.3.2213.133).

I'm currently testing this and I've found PAS Standard to be pretty heavy on Bandwidth.

Also from what I've seen so far PAS Web Professional is identical from a Bandwidth usage point of view as ProClarity Desktop Professional (V6.3.129.200). They seem to be the same code base with one running in a standard window and the other running in a Web Browser window (the Help About box supports this assumption I've made). ProClarity Desktop Professional is not an option for running over a WAN due to heavy Bandwidth usage.

Any help here would be appreciated because my company could now be looking at PAS over Citrix as our only viable WAN solution but really we think a Web application like PAS should not require deployment over Citrix as it's bandwidth usage should already be optimised.

If anyone is running ProClarity or PAS over a WAN I'd be very interested in the configuration that was deployed and the reasons for the decisions that were made.

Thanks in advance.....

Monday, March 31, 2008 11:39 AM

Answers

• You are correct, the full result set is returned to the browser.  Let us know if we can answer anything else for you.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Patrick,

Yes, there have been network tests with PAS.  I'm not sure if they were repeated with 6.3.x. 

Web Professional is almost identical to Desktop Professional.  Both use the same components - one is just designed to be run in an IE window from PAS.  Both directly query SSAS.

You should look at Web Standard.  This is the thin, HTML client that can be run from the PAS Web Server.  Have you tried this?

-Joey

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Hi Joey,

Thanks for the response and for confirming my thoughts on Web Professional.

On the Web Standard front I've performed some initial tests returning large result sets and they didn't look favourable. Are you aware of any stats available for this product. How is it classed as a "thin, HTML client" if there are no network usage stats to back that up?

Regards,

Patrick.

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  

Patrick,

The architecture of ProClarity Analytics Server is a middle-tier analytics server providing - among other things - a web based HTTP thin client.  This Web Standard thin client architecture allows the PAS server to sit "near" the SSAS server in the server room to optimize query response times.  The AS OLE DB Provider sites on the PAS web server and this communicates with the SSAS server.  PAS <----> SSAS.  This is very similar to how the Desktop Professional and Web Professional clients run queries - directly to SSAS.  Desk/Web Pro <----> SSAS.  When a user is navigating in Web Standard on their client, only HTTP traffic is communicated between the PAS web server and the client IE browser.  Web Standard (Client) <----> PAS <----> SSAS.  This traffic can still be substantial, because it is still returning data sets from the queries being requested - just like the Pro clients.  However, users do not have to download and install the Desktop or Web Professional - nor do they have to download and install the prerequisites such as PTS/AS OLEDB, MDAC, etc.  Nor do they have to be an administrator on their machine.  Therefore, the Web Standard is a "thin" client, and the Pro clients are "thick."  The overall savings on distribution, deployment, maintenance and support are part of what attracts companies to deploy Web Standard.  The Web Standard can be set to limit the amount of rows it returns to end users by default.  Please see the suggestions below.

If you have some data results that still do not make sense, please let us know.

-Joey  

You can change the following properties in the "global.asa" file that is located in the PAS directory (default location is: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\PAS\global.asa). In this file you want to look for the following options:

' PQueryEngine configuration defaults '

Application("MaxQuerySize") = 50000 ' Must be > 0 or value is ignored '
    Application("LimitQuerySize") = TRUE ' TRUE | FALSE '
    Application("EjectSessionForLargeQuery") = FALSE 'TRUE | FALSE '

You can change all three settings:
    - MaxQuerySize: The MaxQuerySize is a limit on the product of the members on rows and columns. For example, 6000 x 12 = 72,000. The limit 50,000 must be changed to allow the query to be executed.

- EjectSessionForLargeQuery: Finally the last option is EjectSessionForLargeQuery. I would also recommend setting the Application("EjectSessionForLargeQuery") to TRUE since these types of queries will create large instances of PTS in the connection pool. (This may not be applicable to SSAS 2005).  This will consume memory on the web server and could lead to performance problems. Setting “EjectSessionForLargeQuery” will force the instance of PTS to be recycled as soon as the query completes.

Friday, April 4, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Hi Joey,

Thanks for the prompt reply and helping me understand the architecture. Also the configuration details will prove helpful I'm sure.

Can I just ask for one last piece of clarification and I think I'll be completely up to speed then. My question is if I have a PAS Web Standard query that returns 1000 rows are all 1000 rows returned to the Web Browser when the query executes or does the Web Browser just become a sliding window to the full results set on the PAS Server?

I believe the full results set is returned to the browser but if you could confirm this that would be great.

Thanks again for your help so far,

Patrick.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:32 PM
  • You are correct, the full result set is returned to the browser.  Let us know if we can answer anything else for you.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Sorry I didn't reply to your answer sooner. I just wanted to say thanks for all your help and that I now consider this thread closed.

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:33 PM