Random Restarts Only During Games RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings Community,

I have been racking my brain these past 2 weeks in regards to my computer (which is running Windows 7) and the fact that it is randomly restarting while playing Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I checked my event viewer and it was giving me the Kernel 41 which I know is restart due to a BSOD.  I could not find my log file since I had it set up to restart and dump the error to file.  I have since turned that off so that if it happens again, I can see the stop error.  

But, first, let me tell you what I have done.  I have used the windows memory check to check the memory.  In addition to that I have used memtest and went through a 6 hour memory test.  Both passed.  I then used seatools to check the hard drive...that checked out fine as well.  I then reformatted my hard drive and did a clean install after backing up all my information.  I installed all the updates, played the game, it was fine.  I updated my computer again with the latest security updates and then it started again.  So, through process of elimination, I am assuming it is the security updates that is causing it to BSOD since it started happening after I got the updates before the reformat.  I have also checked my BIOS to check on CPU temperatures and got only 37-39 degrees Celcius immediately after a crash.

But, there is also another issue that is going on as well.  Upon startup, I keep getting the sound as if something is being plugged into a USB port and I checked the event viewer and I see I keep getting a "bonjour service" error.  The thing about that is, outside of just my keyboard and mouse, I have not had anything plugged into the USB ports outside of my external hard drive (which was only plugged in once to get the information I had backed up) and the USB drive to run memtest for the above mentioned issue.

Is there anything I am missing or should I just reformat once again and start from scratch and watch which updates I am applying.

• Edited by Papa Patrick Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

please download and run Sysnative jcgriff2 BSOD File Collection app tool. It will collect the log files and other information about your system that could help finding the cause. Upload the ZIP file report to SkyDrive or some other service and share it here.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Disable any overclock if you did. Download AIDA64 and monitor the voltages while playing games before the crash occurs. And make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard. 
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 8:32 PM
  • I had a pretty similar problem. It turned out that the power supply had an error. I am now running the same system with a weaker power supply and never had the problem again.
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Papa P

Happy to look at the DMP files and we can glean some info from the event viewer logs.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:04 AM
  • TD

+1 for knowing about and using the "griff" Sysnative tool.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Here is an update...

I reformatted my hard drive on December 26th and it has not had any problems up until today.  Again, the issue was that I was playing Star Wars:  The Old Republic and the computer just up and restarted on me.  I have not updated the computer with December's updates since I thought that might be the issue.  But, as you can see, it is not.

As soon as the BIOS screen came up I checked the temp of the CPU and it read that it was currently at 39c.  So, heat does not seem to be the issue.  My GPU could be overheating, but how do I check that?  Another strange thing that is now happening is that the USB port that my mouse is plugged into works, then doesn't, then does.  When windows boots up it re-recognizes my mouse and resets the DPI setting I have it on using the logitech gaming program and the onboard button on the mouse.  This started happening AFTER the restart as well.

But, here is the dump file from the jcgriff2 utility I ran.  I have it as read only in skydrive.  If I need to change that, please let me know.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=78CC5A735A1E440E!110&authkey=!AO4M9nerIlPrVPQ&ithint=file%2c.zip

This next link is to the event viewer log that was compressed using the above stated process.  Hopefully one of these two will help you since I am at a loss. - https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=78CC5A735A1E440E!111&authkey=!ADgZEVtNcV6byoM&ithint=file%2c.zip

• Edited by Papa Patrick Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:57 PM More Info
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:50 PM
  • Hello,

It doesn't seem that the reboots are caused by system crashes (BSODs), since there are no minidump files nor events in the log indicating that.  Just to be sure, you can check whether crash dumps are enabled (please follow this tutorial), but for now I would say it's most likely the issues are caused by temperature or PSU issues.

Please download Open Hardware Monitor. Keep it running for a while (perform some video-intensive activities) to see temperatures it shows.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Papa Patrick

As Thomas says there is no DMP file in the collected items.  That may be for several reasons including using Ccleaner type apps.  YOu may also not have DMP files enabled in control panel.

Here are the instructions on how to configure the computer, find the files, and upload them to us

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    WE NEED AT LEAST TWO DMP FILES TO SPOT TRENDS AND CONFIRM THE DIAGNOSIS.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

In Addition please upload your event viewer logs to us

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to skydrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Just one question to make sure the the DMP Files are enabled.

I went to my settings and it read that I had it enabled but only for kernel memory dump.  Should I change this to the "small memory dump 256" that is the other option?

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Just one question to make sure the the DMP Files are enabled.

I went to my settings and it read that I had it enabled but only for kernel memory dump.  Should I change this to the "small memory dump 256" that is the other option?

Nope, you should leave it as "Kernel memory dump".

By the way, does C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP exists on your system?

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:29 PM
  • No, that does not exist at all on my computer.  So, I just want to make sure that I understand everything correctly since I am also studying this in passing towards my networking degree.

Since there is no memory dump or dump file on my system and the system is restarting, then it is most likely the PSU and MAYBE an overheating issues with the GPU since the restarts are ONLY while I am playing a graphically intensive game....would this be correct?

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:58 PM
  • No, that does not exist at all on my computer.  So, I just want to make sure that I understand everything correctly since I am also studying this in passing towards my networking degree.

Since there is no memory dump or dump file on my system and the system is restarting, then it is most likely the PSU and MAYBE an overheating issues with the GPU since the restarts are ONLY while I am playing a graphically intensive game....would this be correct?

Personally, I'm aware of only few cases when Windows crashes and there's no crash dump file created:

1. Crash dumps are disabled (you checked the settings and confirmed this is not the case)
    2. Page file is too small (there would be indications about that in the Event Log, so it's not our case either)
    3. Something goes really bad with the hardware, that Windows is unable to detect earlier

I think we are dealing with the third possibility here. As you mentioned, this usually happens while you are playing a game, so GPU overheating possibility is very likely. In addition, it might be PSU as well. Have you done any overclocking for your system? Have you customized any advanced BIOS settings?

By the way, could you also download Speccy, save its snapshot (File -> Save Snapshot...) and attach it here? It would provide more information about the hardware you have installed (MSINFO32 log, that was included in Griff's report you attached, was unable to identify your motherboard vendor and model).
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:11 PM
  • PP

Without data I would be guessing and that I dont do. Small memory DMP is fine.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:12 PM
  • Speccy Snapshot as requested.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=78CC5A735A1E440E!112&authkey=!APws8T_Ge6oaDiI&ithint=file%2c.speccy

Also, I just played SWTOR for over an hour doing some stuff on the highest settings...playing solo though on a decently populated area with PC and NPC alike.  CPU temp never topped out over 47c and GPU was about 77c.  No overclocking on my system was ever done, no custom bios stuff.  I tend to not do that due to everything that could go wrong.

So, with that, I am assuming that it is not a temp issue but a PSU issue.  I'll probably replace the PSU This weekend.

• Edited by Papa Patrick Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:07 PM Needed more info
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:06 PM
  • Speccy Snapshot as requested.

So, with that, I am assuming that it is not a temp issue but a PSU issue.  I'll probably replace the PSU This weekend.
    What PSU do you have now?
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:24 PM
  • Looks like it is an "Xtreme Gear" 700w psu.  I have never heard of "Xtreme Gear" at all.  

-Edit- I just did a quick search for the XtremeGear PSU" and the first thing for me to come up was a forum post from CyberpowerPC about this brand.  Some of the same things I have been experiencing...Looks like I'll be hitting best buy tomorrow for a brand new PSU.  I do hate installing those things.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:34 PM
  • Looks like it is an "Xtreme Gear" 700w psu.  I have never heard of "Xtreme Gear" at all.  

It you could try another, more powerful, PSU to confirm if it is really what's causing the issues, it would be great.
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Yeah, I know this.  The only issue is money and installing it.  I absolutely dread installing PSU's due to the cable management.  I am thinking of picking up a thermaltake 850 from Best Buy tomorrow.  Either that or I am just going to get a Corsair 750.
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:51 PM
  • Patrick,

I did some more searching and the interesting thing is that many users are reporting unexpected reboots while playing
    STAR WARS: The Old Republic. There's even a topic on official support forum, containing over 500 posts, with users reporting the issues. I haven't read them all, but there all seem to relate to the issue you are having. I haven't saw an definitive fix provided there, but people are suggesting many different things. Some say the following changes help:

1. Change Shader Complexity from High to Low
    2. Change Texture Arsotropy to Medium.

Please read other posts in that thread to see other possible solutions.

Friday, January 3, 2014 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for all the help.  I am going to try those fixes.  But, I am just trying to figure out why, after playing this since day one of owning the computer it is doing it now.  I have owned this rig for almost 2 years and never had issues like this.

Also, due to the USB issue, I am thinking it is the PSU still.  The USB port where the mouse is plugged in (and has never been moved from) seems to power down and then power back up as if it is recognizing it as a new plug and play device.  Upon every reboot now since the crash, I get that sound from Windows indicating a new USB plug in.

Friday, January 3, 2014 12:45 AM
  • OK, update...

Upgraded the PSU to a Thermaltake 850W PSU.  This is 150W more powerful than what I had.  Reformatted my HD and did a clean install.  I was able to play SWTOR for a few nights 4+ hours with no issue.  Then, tonight, I had a restart.  Again, no dump files exist like the last time.  I restarted back into windows with safemode with networking and then back into it normal mode.  I logged back into the game, then about a minute in, got a restart.  The computer restarted, I got the BIOS screen, and it restarted again before it got past the BIOS.  Then, it restarted again, got to the BIOS screen, then restarted again.  

So, now that the PSU has been replaced, it is either the video card the motherboard.  I know how to test the video card, which is buy another one, but how would I test the motherboard?  I would rather not pay the cash to drop it off and would do it myself since I have studied this.  But, we never went over how to test the motherboard.

I have done memory tests (both memtest and windows memory diagnostic), done the HD test, checked temps with the open hardware monitor, I also used OCCT and did that burn test for over an hour and nothing was wrong.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, January 10, 2014 4:52 AM
  • There's no easy way to check if there are issues with a motherboard. Is it still under a warranty?

You can also try resetting BIOS to default settings (loading optimized BIOS defaults) to be sure it's not some incorrect setting (especially a one in AI Tweaking screen) that causes the issues. Also, as someone on this thread already suggested, it might be a good idea to update BIOS.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:21 PM