Looking to Upgrade 2003 to 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• We have 5 small sites, that have each (2) 1U 2003 SP2 servers. The services that run on 2003 is a DC and the other server is DHCP and Print Services. File shares and home directories are located at the main office server.

So now I would like to go down to one server for each site, and run instead of a DC just a RODC and print services and DHCP. Also maybe a local common share folder.

My question is I should be able to get away doing this with Windows 2008 R2 Standard, correct? This will happen over a weekend where I shutdown 2003 server bring up the new server and rename the new 2008 the same name as the 2003. In renaming the server, can I setup RODC service before the renaming or after I rename the new 2008 server?

Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:20 PM

All replies

• 1. Will you use new or old hardware? This decision will influence the installation procedure.

2. Use two DCs in main office.

Rgds

Milos

Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

Add a new DC is fine. You can change the old one to RODC after new DC online.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Yes new hardware, but these are remote offices, wouldn't I use RODC for those remote sites.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Well I going down to 1 new server for the remote sites. That's why I figure I go with RODC and not a DC.

The other question is running RODC and print services and DHCP. Also maybe a local common share folder. That should be fine to run all together on a 1U new hardware.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:05 PM