IE 11 Hangs Without Addons on Particular Pages RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system that currently is running Windows 7 Pro x64 and is having problems with Internet Explorer 11. Java, as well as flash player, and Symantec Endpoint Protection are installed. The problems comprise of pages hanging to the point of becoming unresponsive and crashing. If an attempt to recover the page is performed, the tab closes and it reports the recovery as failed. I have tried running with and without addons, reinstalling the browser, reinstalling the browser in safe mode, and manually navigating to the pages which cause this issue instead of having them open as default tabs. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• crashing

suggests there may be interference from other things that are loaded.  Use the associated Report.WER file to get a list of what is loaded at the time of crash (or if you have enough time you could use ResMon to get a similar list before a crash).  Then, if you have a workaround condition, such as a safe mode boot, compare the lists for differences which could expedite troubleshooting by fault isolation.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi techguy711,

Based on your description, I suggest that we may try the link to narrow down the issue.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 11:10 AM
  • How would I go about retrieving the Report.WER file? I looked up the Windows Error Reporting MSDN page, but could not find where the file is located.
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:02 PM
  • I will try disabling the hardware acceleration, if it is, and report back. Thank you.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:03 PM
  • How would I go about retrieving the Report.WER file?

They are hidden and File Explorer is not allowed to show them.  Best option is to use a PowerShell pipeline. Recent example here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/file-explorer-crashes-on-search-build-14271/4ea9d7ac-dad4-4dab-8b06-691fead6e958?page=4

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:23 PM
    Answerer