More pleasant is sometimes less functional RRS feed

• General discussion

• It's great Microsoft spent so much time making the User Interface so pretty and nice.  But it's not great when they do it at the expense of functionality.

The new alert "ding" is much more pleasant than the XP "ding."  However, it no longer has all the functions the old one had.

The old "ding" had a sharp rise and a narrow frequency range.  A little hard on the ears but it worked.  The new one is a little more "liquid."  It rises slower and has more overtones (wider frequency band).  So what's the problem?

The old "ding" could be localized by humans.  You knew if it was your machine or your cubicle mate's machine that dinged.  The new one is MUCH more difficult to localize.  Whose machine dinged?  You can't tell!

We haven't heard many complaints yet because early adopters are generally at their home offices which contain only one machine.  When it rolls out to the enterprise and these machines are cheek by jowl in offices, labs and classrooms, you'll start hearing more about this flaw.

It just irritates me when people redesign stuff with aethetics as the ONLY criteria and lose sight of the fact that there may be other functions built in that are being destroyed.

I know, I know, just change my "ding."  Yeah, wait until you have 1000 machines that need modification.  Oh wait, no problem, just hire a full time Group Policy Czar to make it easy....

Friday, April 20, 2007 4:50 PM

All replies

• Interesting!  I never thought about this, but I'll pay attention when the University upgrades to Vista within the next two years!
    Monday, April 23, 2007 12:35 AM